Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Problems with 97 Cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalryder67

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Help! Problems with 97 Cherokee Reply with quote

Vehicle specs...1997 4.0 straight 6/auto tranny 2wd. Usual amenitues..a/c power windows ect. Oil used, Pennzoil syn-blend. 106k on engine. Water pump and thermostat replaced December of 2006.

Problem. Sudden loss of power. Overheating. Slight knocking coming from engine that increases with increased throttle. Almost a "diesel" type of knocking. Missing at idle, when engine is revved up, only occasional miss.

Codes....12 then 55.

Situation when problems arose.
Pulling small motorcycle trailer, slowed down for a turn, then engine died. Restarted and noticed a loss of power then it quickly overheated. Checked cooling fan relay and it was so hot the protective cover came off in friends hand.

I'm helping a good friend out with this problem. I'm a fairly competent "shade tree" mechanic but am more fluent in "Chevy's" Smile

All help is greatly appreciated.
Tardis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the antifreeze with Block Chek for the presense of combustion gases. This will tell you if the head gasket is bad, or the head is cracked.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more than likelly you are going to have alot of engine sludge from the penziol oil, might want to rething what oil you are using.
but i agree on the coolant
mike
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the head gasket. I had the same thing happen to my XJ last summer. Only thing that gave it away.....Brown coolant. When I removed the head gasket I could see leak paths from the oil holes to the coolant path.

If you do take apart the head and if the car has overheated at all take the head to a machine shop and get it checked. I made that mistake the hard way. Got the head back together and had 0 compression.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
cnotespencerusn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: It all depends Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a blown Head Gasket: $81.99 on autozone.com. I also recommend switching from an organic to a synthetic oil. I recommend
Mobil 1 synthetic. Change every 5500-7000 miles. Good Luck!!!

'97 Cherokee Country
3 1/2" Skyjacker Suspension lift
31X10.50 BFG A/T's
K&N Cold-Air Intake
Air-raid Throttlebody spacer
Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust
15x8 Jeep Grizzly Wheels
cksport

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

head gasket 31.99 summitracing.com
metalryder67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well we pulled the plugs and did a compression check. 30psi on number 1 and 90psi on 2. The rest were at 150psi +/-5.

Pulled the head and it looks like the head gasket was blown between #1 and #2..but number 1 cylinder is thrashed! Aluminum spall at the top of the cylinder wall and obvious advanced wear on the cylinder wall. All the rest of the cylinders still have the cross hatching from the factory hone job.

We have a new/used low mileage(50k) engine from a wrecked '98 in hand and are doing the swap now. Got a good deal on it for $500.

We are also upgrading the cooling with a 3 core radiator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: