Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shaky and squeaky cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dschimun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Shaky and squeaky cherokee Reply with quote

For a while now my jeep (4 DR, 1993) would start shaking somewhat violently at higher speeds, like around 45 and then again around 65. I have been trying to figure out what it is ever since I bought it years back. Two years ago I thought buying new tires would take care of the problem but no relieve. I have bought a new steering damper but have not installed it yet. Another and maybe connected problem is when I turn left or right in either rear wheel drive or 4 wheel, I hear a clanking sound coming from the front wheels. The wear on all tires is the same exept the right front tire. The wear on it is much worse than the others. I'm buying new tires again soon so I was just trying to fix the problem before I ruin another good pair of tires.I'm a poor college student so if you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it a lot. Confused
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try getting an alignment for it , its a jeep some one beat the crap out of it and your camber caster or toe is messed up

the binding is your u joints in the front end (your clanky noise) grease them up or get them replaced , you may also need some ball joints (won't solve the clanky noise). alot of jeeps do that in 4wd fully turning .

basically take it to an alignment shop and they should tell you everything that is wrong with your front end .

also get your tires balanced.

what type of tire wear , feathering(which direction)? inner or outer getting worn out? how is the pressure ?

Last edited by Brad The Best on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: fun stuff Reply with quote

Looks like you have some fun on yours hands... Neutral The noise while turning is probably the u-joints in the front axle like Brad mentions. The other part sounds like "death wobble" which is a seperate issue. Do a search on here and you'll find lotsa posts. Could be a number of things doing it, you gotta find the culprit. As Jeeps wear out in the front this will start to happen, usually most noticible after hitting a bump and the only thing to stop it is to slow down.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say go with the cheaper fixes first.. i changed my track bar.. not to cheap and it still happened .. then i changed my steering damper and wa la.. problem fixed
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like everyone said possibly u-joints in the front would be a good start. but like darkness said it could be just a simple thing. also instead of replacing the track-bar first try torquing it down tighter. i had a bad noise when turning and tightened the track bar bolts on the driver side and the noise went away.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most definately.. tighten every bolt in the front end to spec just to be sure... also go with the damper first unless you are sure its the ubolts.. id change the track bar last.. i have a shiney new one with about 700 miles on it.. if that.. i got a new one from a auto shop and after i lifted it i got the track bar conversion from kevins off road and adjsutable track bar so i got the old/new one if itll fit ill give you a hell ova deal!
AllanAlxndr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem.. Front end would shake like crazy around 45 and then sometimes at higher speeds... Tightened up the Sway bar mounts as they were a bit loose from the bushings being worn and everything is fine now...
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Around 55mph or higher my front end would shake violently whenever I hit the slightest bump and the only way to make it go away is to slow down(about caused me an accident on the highway). took it to a general car shop(I think Midas) and they told me it was going to be around $400 to get it fixed. I took it to my small towns auto mechanic and he pointed out a few problems. The nut on my driverside tie rod end was loose. also the bolt on the end of my trackbar was rusted and loose. I ended up checking and tightening every bolt I could find. I also replaced the bolt and bracket that holds the trackbar on. in the end I only spent about $10 and since i have had no problems. just check to make sure everything is tight before spending lots of $$$!
coconutwil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: shaky vibrations & squeaky Reply with quote

Hey...Had the same type of problem with my Cherokee. Found a bad u-joint on the rear drive line.
Replaced the u-joint and now its like a new vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: