Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[ZJ] Fuel filter replacement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke that same line before and had to go to the dealer $15-20, and they had to order it. I looked at all the fix a line kits the parts stores had and none of them would have worked for me. I don't remember exactly why, I think the fitting size of the ZJ was smaller than what they had. The bone yard is a good idea. But if it's the rear line it will be hard to remove from the tank without lowering it, you can just cut the line in half and reattach it to yours with a short length of rubber hose like fox said. Just use a couple hose clamps and don't over tighten them becuse the plastic lines aren't that strong. If you splice the line in, make you sure you start the JEEP after and check for leaks before you put your tools away.
nori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a picture to the first post of this thread. My website domain is still not restored but I'm using absolute path to pull this image. srry. Anyway...

So it seems like I do need some kind of quick disconnect plier, the plastic piece do look very fragile especially where it connects to the fuel line.

How did you break the connector Dankness? Did you bend the fuel line while holding the plastic cap? Plz let us know also how your repair went.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: [ZJ] Fuel filter replacement Reply with quote

You don't need pliers, you can use your fingers. Just squeeze the retaining clips where I've circled and slide the line right off. The rear usually snaps easier because of the right angle. Just pull the line off the front, then when you do the rear pull the filter instead of the line.

nori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orange, that's a great pointer. I'll try to stay away from holding the plastic clips as well and hold it by the tube.

I'm so glad I brought up this topic, it seems so easy but one mistake can paralyze my car.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy im good and running again!!! i jus wen to the bone yard and got a new elbow.. be sure to get the right size! ha ha i got two thinkn id have a back up but there is 2 different sizes... luckily i got one of each not konwn! so.. after i got one all mounted and it didnt connect to the filter i put the other elbow on and the only way i could connect it was with some rubber tubbing.. the hot water theroy to make the fuel line stretchable wasnt workn for me... the plastic was a tight fit on the elbow and even tighter on the fuel line.. i used a lil rtv as lube and to seal it then used some zip ties with a zip tie tightener to make sure it doesnt come off.. it works pretty good no leaks as of yet so i couldnt be happier!!!

i broke the SOB jus by tryn to un attach the rear line from the fliter.... it was ready to go seriously it should not have broke.. im glad its gone and replaced
nori

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you've got your piece replaced and repaired Dankness.

I just changed mine today too and everything went very smoothly after carefully reviewing what everyone here had to say about it.

Thank you guys so much for the support I needed.

Something good I found on the net about replacing fuel filters:

From: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/aa082203a.htm
Quote:

I receive a lot of questions concerning power loss, hesitation and hard starting in a vehicle. Many of these complaints can be traced to a clogged fuel filter. As the fuel filter gets older. More and more dirt collects inside it, gradually restricting the flow of fuel to the engine. A partially restricted filter will usually pass enough fuel to keep the engine running at idle or low speed, but may starve the engine for fuel at higher speeds or loads. So your engine may run fine putting around town, but sputter and lack power when you try to drive at highway speeds or pass someone.

I am often asked, "How often should I change my fuel filter?" If you have a high mileage vehicle you should replace the fuel filter once a year. By the time your car is six or seven years old, there can be a lot of dirt and rust inside your fuel tank. Normal condensation and moisture inside the fuel tank can form rust and every time you put in fuel, dirt can enter the fuel tank. All of this can cause a fuel filter to plug up fairly quickly, so replacing the fuel filter annually will prevent many problems

Many newer vehicles do not specify a recommended replacement interval. And many have a so-called; "Lifetime" fuel filter they claim never needs to be replaced. But any fuel filter will clog and need to be replaced so don't fall for that "never needs changing" story.

At my station there are fuel filters in the pumps to give the fuel a final filtering before you buy it. This prevents a lot of junk from getting into your fuel tank. I replace these filters on the first of every month whether they need it or not. However, there are a lot of stations out there who do not have fuel filters on their pumps so the fuel you put in your tank may be contaminated with water from leaky underground storage tanks, improperly mixed alcohol blends, or even watered-down by an unscrupulous operator who's trying to make a fast buck.

Replacing the fuel filter once a year as a preventative maintenance item is insurance that reduces the risk of the fuel filter plugging up. Brand new cars right from the dealer are as susceptible to getting dirty fuel as any other car so even though the car is new, the fuel filter will start to clog fairly quickly.

Another question I'm often asked is; "How can I tell if my fuel filter needs to be replaced?"

Well, contrary to what a lot of fast oil change places tell you, you can't tell if a fuel filter needs replacing just by looking at it. Well, you could if you have X-Ray vision. And the only guy I know of that has X-Ray vision wears a red cape and a tight suit and I have never seen him working at a fast oil change place.

The only way to tell for sure is to remove the filter and blow through it. If there's little resistance, the filter is still okay and does not need to be replaced. But if there's more than minimal resistance, the filter is dirty and should be replaced.

Copyright 2001 - 2003 Vincent T. Ciulla All Rights Reserved

Last edited by nori on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all good info, but I wouldn't recommend having anyone put there lips on the dirty fuel filled filter. If it's already off, you might as well replace it.

nori wrote:
Quote:
The only way to tell for sure is to remove the filter and blow through it. If there's little resistance, the filter is still okay and does not need to be replaced. But if there's more than minimal resistance, the filter is dirty and should be replaced.

nori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I see the effect of changing to a new fuel filter, I'm definately adding this routine to my yearly maintenance schedule. Yeah.. I'd just change it too instead of checking it.

This fuel filter solved boat load of my engine performance issues, mainly, my engine stopped coughing all together and occassional wierd idle. My check engine light stop coming on with code 21 as well... for now... I'll see after a week or so.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... when i took mine off it sounded like an empty guinness can.... when i shook it somethin was bouncin around.. ting ting ting... normal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: