Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

im in need of some help!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bignutt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: im in need of some help!!!!! Reply with quote

i just got a 94 cherokee sport. i put a brand new 4.0 HO in sept. im concerned b/c i was testing out the 4h and 4L and it will go into gear but as soon as i start going it will pop every few seconds. like something is catching on something. im scared! what is it ? if you can help me please let me know.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: im in need of some help!!!!! Reply with quote

bignutt wrote:
i just got a 94 cherokee sport. i put a brand new 4.0 HO in sept. im concerned b/c i was testing out the 4h and 4L and it will go into gear but as soon as i start going it will pop every few seconds. like something is catching on something. im scared! what is it ? if you can help me please let me know.

Ok, I think we're gonna need a little bit more info here.

First off, is your Jeep part-time or full time 4WD? In other words, does it have a 2WD gear (part-time) or does it strictly have 4WH/4WL?

Secondly, and this is especially true with the 2WD option, are you trying to engage it on dry pavement? The 4WL gear does not like to travel on nice, dry pavement, and makes all sorts of cool sounds when it does.

I take it the popping stops when forward motion stops, so more than likely the tranny gears are not lining up properly, and it's probably popping in-and-out of gear. Shifting from 4WH to 4WL, you should not be going any faster than, say, 20 MPH, have the drive gear in neutral, and the engine at idle (this may be incorrect if you are in 4WD all the time, this is primarily for the 2WD/4WD people). You need to be in motion to help the tranny gear line up properly for 4WD because when you engage it at a dead stop the gears tend to gnash a little, making that nice noisy metal-on-metal sound.

The easiest way to shift from 4WH to 4WL is this: Start out on relatively level ground, and tap the gas pedal to get some forward motion. Drop your drive gear into neutral, take hold of the 4W lever, and move it from High to neutral to low in a nice even motion (You can pause at neutral if you like, but make sure you're still coasting when going to 4WL). You'll probably hear a solid "clunk" as the gears engage, and you should be moving in 4WL just fine.

TexAgs08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a popping noise only during moderate acceleration, or in some cases any acceleration, but not while coasting or cruising at a set speed then it is most likely the wheel joints...
I base this on the same problem i was having just a few weeks ago. I replaced bothe joints and it fixed the prob. They were like $8 apiece (go for the greasable ones)...
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It maybe as simple as a linkage adjustment (mine was).

Very simple procedure, check a cheapo manual or better yet a FSM!

I was very relieved it wasn't a bum xfer case on mine!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
bignutt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried the roll and put in gear and it still does it. it goes into gear fine but as soon as i start climb it pops . is sounds as if it slips and catches it self.[/img]
bignutt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also lately is has been diing for no reason. i'll be sitting at a light and it will die or even cruising down the road.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps your IAC is dead . try cleaning up your throttle body im sure it is full of gunk
bignutt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it has nothing to do with anything on the motor b/c the motor is brand new along with all parts. it was all replaced in sept last year when the original lost all compsion in the 4th cyl. today i was muddin and put in 4H at about 20 and i shaked alittle but no poping .it only seems to do it at slower speeds.
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible you have a linkage problem that can be simply adjusted as mentioned before. Pick up a copy of either the Chilton's or Haynes' book for your year and take the time to open up your transfer case. This way you'll get to know the inner workings of your t-case.

At least by opening it up you'll get a better idea of what's happening. Wink

Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i had the exact same problem you are talking about. it was driving me nuts! i figured the noise was something really bad and that i might have some expensive repair bills to look forward to.

the noise showed up when i had first got the jeep back when it had stock suspension. i quickly decided that stock height wasnt gonna cut it so i installed a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift. When i installed the kit that noise vanished.

Heres the thing, the rubber bushings in the stock control arms are notorious for wearing out an making a clunking noise. Especially the uppers! mine did it majorly in lowrange going up hill climbs or even on flat ground at like 2-3mph. Tighten the Track-Bar!!!! and every over component under there. see if that helps
tag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

when you put it in 4wd then move forward or reverse is there a bang! as if something is going to break! and if you stop and try again same thing happens, and it shifts into 4wd as normal. And by bang i mean a bad sounding noise!! If so sounds like you need a new chain for your t/c the chain stretches and tries to carry on round the sprocket until it's under so much tension it jumps off the bottom of the sprocket causing the loud bang!! my friends jeep had this problem and i stripped his t/c and could s
ee the problem with the chain, Changed the chain problem fixed!

will it drive ok in 2wd but sometimes get a clicking noise? if so that's the chain catching the transfer box case!........good luck
bignutt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats exactlly it problem!!! now what do i need to do? i dont have any tools and i dont wanna mess anything up!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have any tools then you will have to take it to a shop or get a replacement , cheapest way is from a junk yard
tag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thought so! hey if you don't have tools or the experience get someone to fix it for you. maybe a junkyard t/c or a new chain , if you go the junkyard rout make sure it's the right one for your model as there are subtle differences IE input/ output shafts length, dia,spline count, but you can still use the chain as they are the same! you will need oil seals too!

if you get stuck bring it over i'll strip that sucker!!........cya
tag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this may give you some idea,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3VMyWgwNI link don't work copy and paste!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: