Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[ZJ] Fuel filter replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: [ZJ] Fuel filter replacement Reply with quote

After reading troubleshooting section in my Haynes' manual, I have to replace my fuel filter. The section that covers this topic is difficult for me to understand (i lack knowledge on terms and experience), I'd like to seek for some help here as to what I need to do.

In the manual:

a. read warning on section 1.

1. Relieve fuel system pressure.
-Remove fuel filler cap
-Remove fuel pump relay(? is this a fuse?) from power distribution center.
-Attempt to start engine and crank it for several seconds.
-Turn ignition key to off position and reinstall fuel pump relay.
- Disconnect negative terminal from battery and continue to fuel filter removal.

2. Detach fuel connector lines from filter.
3. Separate the filter from bracket.
4. Transfer plastic retainers for quick-connect fittings to new filter.
5. Install new filter and plug fuel lines back.

EDIT:

My question is:

1. Is there a way I can visually check if fuel filter isn't the problem (clogged) that's causing my engine troubles? [engine misses through driving speed range]
2. Anything else I should be watching out for safety? I'm just nervous at this because it's my first time messing with the fuel line.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by nori on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm sorry im really no help.. id say no you cant check it visably- sorry i suck so much ass at spelling.. it doesnt bother me tho- cus it the working filters are inside.. im gonna change mine.... might as well it has 106k on it anyway plus they are what 11 bucks?

as far as safety id say... dont smoke around it or while you are doing it... and maybe have a drain pan handy incase you spill a little bit.. im gonna change mine most likely tomarrow pm or sometime wednesday cus im off so if you do yours let me know how she goes
nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... Though, my website domain just got expired and it's causing all the missing picture links to my homepage. I'll fix that ASAP(it'll take a day or two) and put pictures on this once I go through this filter change. Thanks for the advice Darkness.

Any particular kind of filter is good for this Jeep or they're all the same? I just want to have a clean run without my engine coughing especially going up or down hill.

In the manual,

[Engine misses throughout driving speed range]

1. Fuel filter clogged
2. faulty spark plugs and/or wires
3. fault in fuel or electrical system shock
4. faulty emission system shock
5. uneven cylinder compression pressures shock
6. faulty ignition system shock
7. vacuum leak at TB, intake manifold or vacuum hoses. shock
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going with oem... i dont really think there is after market fuel filters. good luck to you man happy jeepn!

btw it is D A N K N E S S

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you cant check how the filter is on the outside, you have to take it out of the system then you can dump its contents into a clear jar to see what its picked up, orange liquid means rust, foggy liquid is water.

I just went to the parts store and asked for one and i got a purolater one

tools you may need are those quick disconnect pliars, when i did mine all i did was crawl under jeep disconnect, replace, reconnect and done
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didnt realeave the pressure or anything? just popped it off then new one on?
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ur gona want 2 disconnect ur battery because when u open up the fuel system it will loose all pressure and the computer will go "O SHIT" and it will turn on ur fuel pump full power and will spray out gass at about 50-60PSI. not fun.

i would do it just to be safe, also disconnecting the battery will mean there is no chace of any kind of sparks except from static charge.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the key in the off position. The pump will not start with the key off. Gas is going to spill no matter what you do, but relieving the pressure helps. Remove the bolt holding the filter up. Have a couple rags and a small bucket on hand to catch any spilled gas and to put the old filter in. There are usually small red caps on the ends of the new filter, they can be any color, I use these to help with the gas spilling. Take off only the front cap and have it ready. Then remove the fuel line from the front of the filter heading towards the engine. What I do now is put the red cap on the old filter to stop spilling. Then you can remove the plastic clip from the old filter, being careful not to snap it off. You'll have to take the red cap off to remove the pastic clip, but then put it back on. Now put the plastic clip on the new filter and push it into the hanging line. Remove the hanging clamp from the old filter and put it on the new one, making sure it goes on the same way it was removed. Then remove the rear line and hold the filter with the capped end facing down and remove the plastic clip from the rear of the filter. Put it on the back of the new filter and reattach the fuel line. Bolt it back up and reinstall the gas cap. Now you can check for contaminants in the filter by removing the red cap and holding the filter with the back facing down towards the bucket. That's it, I would say it should take no more than five minutes.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good explination... if i cant follow those instructions i should definately not be worknig on my jeep... ha ha
nori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great orange, fox, andy and dan*k*ness lol sorry.

Comments like above are very encouraging for me and I will post visuals for anyone else going to do the same as soon as my domain name is re-established. Thanks again for the walk through.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha no problem.. looks like my awesome avitar pic got deleted so you will never trull understand DankNess..

im gonna change my fuel filter right now.. so here goes nothin!!!

hope all goes well with your change!!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COUNT on ME to it up if it can be done!!!! thats why i swear i want to replace EVERYTHING on my jeep cept the frame and body..... SON of a biotch..

YA i broke my fkn fuel line connector...

NOT the plastic piece that goes on the fuel filter... i was very careful as orange pointed out... I broke the the piece that goes over that! Evil or Very Mad pull hair i hate it... im gonna have to wait to go back to the parts store.. tomarrow im going to the u pull to find what ever i can so maybe ill just steal the whole fuel line that connects to the back of the filter.

a good pic of what NOT to break Razz
nori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it... I'll probably do the same... break the piece and render my car undrivable, till my gf drops me off to the parts store. shock I can already feel the frustrations.

Orange's description is far more descriptive & helpful than the super compressed Hanyes manual.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just cut the line and replace with rubber fuel line, thats what i did on my xj and no i didnt relieve any pressure or anything like that
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... so your sayin cut the line that is borke above where the elbow connector goes up yo... then attach rubber line? how did you connect it? just go over the brake line and over the fuel filter connector? did you clamp em on any way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: