Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clunk coming from the rear of my Jeep when starting off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug_the_chug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Clunk coming from the rear of my Jeep when starting off Reply with quote

Sometimes when I come to a stop, then start off again I will hear a clunk coming from what seems like the back of my Jeep Cherokee. This does not happen every time and I am having a heck of a time narrowing down what could be the problem. Anyone have any advice or experience to lend in this area?

Thanks in advance...
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: clunk Reply with quote

If it feels like the rear drops a bit when it clunks then it's your rear springs. This is the infamous spring wrap.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
badger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rear shock is either toast or is loose

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doug_the_chug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your help and I will check it out!

I hope this is the issue because it sounds and feels like the jerk is due to some slack in the drivetrain/tranny. Not sure, but I hope to God its the springs!
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm is it me or did some one not mentiuon the possibility of the rear u-joints? Is it a manual trans? I had that sound a few times a while back but had my mech look into it and he replaced front and rear u-joints on the driveshaft. Solved my prob and he recommends, especially if u offroad alot to have them checked or replaced every year or so. I drive alot maybe 20k a year so that may be a recommendation for my driving who knows? But for under $100 smacks might not hurt to look into replacing them anywho and go from there. Hopefully it's like these guys said and a shock or wrap and an easy fix. Good luck!
badger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it could be a rear driveshaft joint and it is a place to look also.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu know i have been getting hte same noises from my jeep. I get it from the front mainly, but sometimes i here it from the rear. I took it to my local mechanic, he couldnt really find anything wrong. he said the motor mount might need replacing, but he said the u-joints looked ok. I don't know if i should really trust his opinnion but since he didnt try and get any money out of me, it makes me wonder. Any idea what could cause the front end noise? Do you think it might be a HUB assembly?
97XJ Jeeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing when i first got it, it felt like someone tapped me and it felt like the rear dropped a bit. changed the shocks and u-joints. problem solved!
2 1/2" pipe cat back
Videos my XJ
http://youtube.com/profile?user=JeepXJJeeper
tech69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: clunk from rear Reply with quote

mine did the same thing until i put a lift kit on and the springs were arched upward. am guessing it was the infamous spring wrap. yours sounds like mind did.
mrench01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Clunk From Rear Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing. I have a 1995 Cherokee Sport 4x4 Auto 4.0L and I have replaced the motor mounts, all the U-joints (front and rear) and all new rear end bearings and seals (I have the larger Chrysler diff and not the Dana). I should mention that the suspension is currently stock and the XJ has 84K on it.

I hear this clunk sound when:

1) I accelerate from a stop and I only hear it initially.

2) I am driving at ~ 45 to 60 mph and I suddenly "let" off the gas pedal. Then I hear the clunk and feel a slight jerk when it happens.

3) It only happens in 2wd Hi

4) I never hear it in 4wd Hi or Lo.

The transmission never slips and shifts smoothly under load. The transfer case works fine with no issues going into 4wd Hi or Lo.

Is this the spring wrap issue? My XJ is one of the few I have seen that doesn't have the saggin wagon rear springs.

~Mike R~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: