Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubled XJ Waters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xj4play

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Troubled XJ Waters Reply with quote

Bought an XJ about a month ago and have a few probs.

She started and ran fine when I bought her and the week following. About a week and a half after purchase I went to start her and battery was dead. No keys were in her and no doors left open. Nor was there any overhead lights left on.

I charged her and she started again and continued to do so for a few days. I went to pick up the kid from school and when I went to start her and leave from school she just turned and turned without starting. i got her home and she sat for a couple days before I put jumper cables back on her. She started again for a couple days then about 3 days later she lost her charge again and didn't have enough power to turn her over.

I went through the diagnostics and the only thing that said was that she had a prob with the speed sensor (speedo works sometimes) and that the battery had been disconnected in the last 50 on off cycles.

Any ideas what might be wrong with her?

Thanks in advance.
xjnuts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look at the easy/cheap stuf first. Get your charging system checked. Also it sounds like you either have a bad ground or a hot wire grounding on occassion. The speed sensor may be the problem, check the wiring to it.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your vehicle charging ? at what voltage ? what condition and age is your battery in ?
xj4play

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I recieved this info from another cherokee forum:

"You should include the year and model - so we know what to talk about - the models
for the XJ go back to 84 and have at least six changes.

Not an uncommon problem with older XJs - first check the battery to be sure it
is charging OK - disconnect it and charge it - with the cables off - and then
check the voltage - say after charging over night - You are looking for good
voltage 13V and above - below 12 after a full charge means the battery has
a cell going - check the leads to make sure they are not corroded - clean them
with a wire brush and use die-electric grease on them to make sure they contact
the batter OK - check the water level - to see if some of the cells are dry - if
the are try to find out why - holes - leaks - etc. IF FILL THEM USE DISTILLED WATER
ONLY.

If the battery looks OK - and the cables are clean - start it up and check the
voltage during a charging cycle - again you are looking for 13.6 or higher - meaning
the alternator is changing it OK - the alternator and/or the belt might not be tight
and thus not charging correctly.

If you have a good solid battery, a tight belt , and a charging alternator then you
have a voltage drain - a short or a device that is on - which is bleeding your
power away - common problems are dome lights - radios - other accessories - to run
this down you need a good digital volt meter that can measure current - so you can
go to the fuse box and check each circuit to see which ones are draining the battery."

The Vehicle is a 1991 Cherokee Laredo
4.0 Inline 6Cyl
Auto Trans
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so when your vehicle is on what voltage do you get ?

older ones also have things like the wires from the alt and starter corrode and not allow for a good charge and the ground wire to the block from the battery . 91 has a external voltage regulator i believe (nippendenso alt ) so if you could tell us what voltage your getting we could help perhaps . if the voltage checks out and your wires aren't corroded then you will have to buy a dmm or test light .

do you have another vehicle with a similar sized battery you could try swapping them and see if the problem goes away . if you dont have a digital multimeter and you want to fix any electrical problem then you should really think about getting one .

you can also spray paint over the terminals to stop self discharge
xj4play

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery showed around 9V before I got her started. After running for awhile battery showed 13.1V. Voltmeter showed over 14V while running. Swapped the old battery for a newer one to see if it'll hold a charge better.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 volts is good . 13 is pretty low but as long as it went up then no problem . see how the new battery holds up , hopefully that was the problem otherwise it could get fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: