Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is thedefinition of an AN fitting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: What is thedefinition of an AN fitting Reply with quote

Years ago, I had a fuel injected rear engined dragster. We used braided stainless hoses with AN fittings for fuel lines etc. I never knew what AN stood for until today............

"The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification stemming from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN. However, some documents say the name is really Air Force/Navy." Quoted from Wikipedia.

I can go to bed happy tonight, I learned something today!

Hutch
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or generally...AN fittings have an external flare that will seal better with increased torque whereas the MS fitting has an internal flare and will tend to leak more with increased torque. you have to loosen and retorque a leaking b-nut with that style. also, AN's are more commonly found with the tell-tale blue or red anodized finish while MS are usually just the natural alloy's color.
chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: