Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my tj?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you the same guy that I recommended disconnecting your front swaybar when offroad, too???

First off, you aren't getting any articulation out of your front end like you should be due to the connected front swaybar. Take a look at your pictures. Notice how the articulation of the front axle is much less than the rear? That's because of the stock front swaybar is keeping the axle parallel to the frame. Unfortunately for you, on a TJ the front articulates much more than the rear.

If you did disconnect your front swaybar as you should when offroad, you would find your front shocks would then be limiting your down travel. With a 2" budget boost, they will not allow much more extension than you've already got.

The stock front shocks are a bit longer could possible be used with a BB if you absolutely needed to. However, the stock rear shocks are absolutely too short and can not be used with a BB without maxing them out...even on road.

I'm basing my statement from personal experience. I installed an RE BB on my Unlimited one week after I bought it. At first, I attempted the install using just the spacers and retaining the stock shocks. After discovering the stock shocks were too short, I replaced them with the shocks included in the RE BB. I never overextended the shocks from that point on and have since progessed to taller lifts and bigger tires. I also build a 99 TJ before this one. I do know what I'm talking about and it is not something "I've heard" from others.

hutchman wrote:
Of course I have to resectfully disagree with this statement. I am running stock shocks and have NEVER maximum extensionn on the street. Off road is a different matter.

All four on the ground.

Tell me sir, do you flex you Jeep more than this on the street?

What are you basing your statement on?

Perhaps this is just "something you know."

Hutch

hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissin contest over, I stand by my statements.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehirner's got you man. With longer shocks and the front end discoed, that front tire would drop almost double that. I lifted my buddies 04 Willys with 2" spacers and he tried to run stock shocks. He changed them real quick when he started getting death wobble after the shocks bottomed over a patch of potholes on the road. After we changed his shocks it never happened again.

Dankness you do have to either get an adjustable track bar or relocation bracket. Everything else is included in the kit.

hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
You don't have to replace the stock shocks. They will work fine unless you are interested in max flex. The stock shocks will limit the downtravel of the syspension which will limit the flex you get, but they will work. The longer shocks will work better, but are not absolutely needed unless you are concerned with max offroad performance.

For street use, save your money!

For those of you who don't know what my statement was..............

I said the short shocks will limit downtravel, but new shocks are not needed "for the street."

I stand by this statement.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: what is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my tj? Reply with quote

I get what your saying, but Dankness is looking for more flex. So isn't your "statement" irrelevant to this thread? Also the thread subject says What is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my TJ. Shocks that would limit flex IMO would not be considered part of a good lift!!! Maybe a good lift that is half finished. Even if they are good for the street, we should all be in cars if that's all that matters.
DankNesS wrote:
i dont have poop for flex now and need to lift it..

skipperb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one
I got the 2"bb installed with shocks and was wondering about the BL. I checked and one shop said 1" another said 2" what would the difference be if I got 32" or 33" tires.I know I can run 32" now. click on pix

ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipperb wrote:
Here is one
I got the 2"bb installed with shocks and was wondering about the BL. I checked and one shop said 1" another said 2" what would the difference be if I got 32" or 33" tires.I know I can run 32" now. click on pix

2" BB with 1" BL is the budget-minded minimum for 33s without powering up the reciprocating saw. You may need a little bumpstop adjustment to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive decided on the RE budget boost package and no rear sway bar with jks discos in front and a relocating bracket with jks adj track bar.. with everything im getting id much rather get longer coils and get 3.5 - 4 lift like i was planing but i guess itll work fer now
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's all about the benjamin's. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: