Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Relay Problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcrouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Starter Relay Problem? Reply with quote

I have an '89 Cherokee with the 6 cylinder. My son was driving it recently and the battery wasn't charging. The alternator was replaced this past fall. He limped it to a friend's house. I went over and tried to jump it. The battery must have been too far gone because it was only slowly turning over and wouldn't start. I decided to try and start it one more time and got shocked through the key! It was a pretty strong jolt so I decided to have it towed to a shop.

The shop charged the battery and it started just fine. They told me they tested the battery and the alternator and both were fine. My son then drove it another couple days and the same thing happened. I charged the battery, started it, and checked the voltage across the battery. It was only reading about 9.5 volts when running. It seemed that the alternator was bad and had an intermittent problem. I removed it and had it checked. It checked out fine.

Tonight I noticed the large stud (where the small jumper from the positive cable attaches) on the starter relay is loose. It just turns in the relay itself. I know this isn't normal because it didn't do this when I put on new cables last summer. It seems to me that this may be the problem with the battery not always getting a charge.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas??

Thanks for any info.

Joe C
dancerman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you found the problem. Fix this fast, a short could cause a fire.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancerman wrote:
I think you found the problem. Fix this fast, a short could cause a fire.

Exactly! I guess that shop didn't really care to look it over that good.
jcrouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I hope this is indeed the problem. I'll pick one up later this week and post the results.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: