Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy with blissfull ignorance! Need your advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: New guy with blissfull ignorance! Need your advise Reply with quote

Greetings,
I'm the proud owner of a 97 Cherokee Country automatic all stock 112,000 original miles, 6,500 on a new engine this thing runs like a top. This is my weekend cruzer, and I need new shocks mainly rears but I might as well change all 4. What should I get? I got prices from $400+ rancheros to around $200 +- Procomps. The last guy I spoke to recomended the procomps if all was stock, which it is. I'm not doing any heavy off road, but I am looking at putting some time and money in this car seeing as I only drive it on the weekneds.
Right now I just need new shocks. What do you recomend?
Next some larger tires 29"-30" w/ no lift trimming?
There after 2-3" lift I'll ask about that later.
And then, and then...............................
I guess i'm just looking for help to set this mother up!! I got time, and some money.
I used to drive a 89 cherokee back in 94, and I loved it dad bought it new and we beat the hell out of it!! Did all you could with that thing with no lift and larger tires. I drove that car till the trany quit and the front end fell out. That was after it got cut in half by a new 96 mustang diven by that guy that owns Oracle Larry Ellison. My sister ran a red light in front of his towers. But thats another story.
Anyways I figured I could start here and try to mooch some of your combined experiances. What would you do if you could start over???
Lets start with the shocks.

Thanks,
ICE
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first and foremost, welcome to the forum!!! Secondly, if the shocks are truly worn out, you might as well pair-up your shock replacement with a simple 2" budget boost. This is the nice, cheap way to get 30" tires under your rig without trimming, plus since you'll have most of your axle stuff moved around, popping in new shocks will be a cinch.

For 2" BB's, you have the choice of either rear shackles or an add-a-leaf (AAL). The rear shackles are good for future lifting but wear out your factory leaf pack quicker, and the AAL's give you the added lift TEMPORARILY, meaning if you still have the factory packs they are gonna wear out, just not as fast.

As a recommendation, get yourself a set of ZJ (Grand Cherokee) coil springs and S-10 leaf packs from the junkyard (which will be pretty cheap), and then spring for 4 brand name shocks for an XJ with 2-3" of lift, which is about what you're gonna net from the coil/spring replacement. Consider also getting bar-pin eliminators (BPE's), as these will help you out greatly when you eventually swap out shocks (trust me, you'll snap at least one shock bolt under there...). This should get you started on the road to offroading bliss. Mr. Green

HTH

ICE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx!!
Thats exactly the kind of information I was/am looking for!
Best to do it right the first time.

ICE
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rancho offers 0 to +4 shocks that you could put in stock and keep with a 3-4 " lift . i put rs 5000's in mine they were only like 60$ a piece .

how much do the zj coils give you ? 2" i just made nylon spacers out of some 1/2" nylon till i get money for a real front end lift .
ICE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO!
Thanks for the replys.
Well let's not just leave it here with suspension, what else might you recomend?
Exhaust?
Intake?
Anything that could help.
I'm open for sudjestions. Again trick trick trick!!
Thanks again

ICE
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banks torque tube header .

a cold air kit or a snorkel (depending on what type of driving you are doing)

does it have limited slip differentials ? if you do any type of off-roading i would look into some sort of limited slip or locker .

are you putting a stereo in it ?

a transmission cooler would be cool as well
brent bartman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the cold air and TB spacer of febay like 60 bucks for both together shipped to your house ....and for your exhaust do u want to do custom with no cat and like a cherrybomb or flormaster muffle or do u want a bolt on cat back...but whhats the point of a exhaust system and keeping you cat
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
ICE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep condolaces to those at Virgina Tech.

NICE!!
Now remember I'm new to all this, not quite hip with all your gargon.
Cold air and TB Spacer, febay?? What are these? Sounds good though.
Right now just light wheeling.
Just replaced my cat. Looking to get a refund from Chrysler.
Recall E22.
How bout better gas milage?
banks torque tube header?? HU???
This is good stuff. If there's a better way to figure out what you foulks are recomending, other than asking, let me know.
Just put in a new Pioneer CD player and Alpine speakers.
Anyone need a stock tape deck??
First guy recomended a Budget boost. adding a leaf and changing springs
I'm starting with that.
Where's the best sites for this stuff?? I'm not a big fan of on line shopping impulse buyer! Where to go CA bay area??
Thanks again
ICE
berk9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your looking for a budget boost you can always get some S10 leafs for the rear of your xj and itll give it 3"..... not sure how they flex but cheap all the same
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 4.5" with s-10 blazer springs.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10730
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get the AAL kit from rough country that will give you 3 inches of lift, if you get the entire aal kit it will run you something like 250 bucks with shocks from jc whitney, i have their 4.5 kit and it flexes pretty good
brent bartman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u want better gas mileage and more power get a throttle body spacer "TB spacer" and a Cold air intake...febay is a typo for Ebay but i got my intake and throttle body spacer off there which was a lil cheaper than anywhere else online for both it was 175 shipped to my door. . and i run a pacesetter catback exhaust only because it came on my jeep and it sounds "racey" so its grown on me.... but headers are expensive and there better upgrades for the money...have you looked into the edge trail jammer which is a new throttle body an intake and a computer module for like 700 bucks. my friend has on his ...that with a TB spacer would improve gas mileage and power but you might need new rear tires sooner **cough cough my self cough cough** but just look around on google and stuff theres alot of good stuff out there for XJ's
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stock head is prone to cracking, so upgrading for one with more performance would be a good route to go if you need more power
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: