Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.5L engine sputtering

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: 2.5L engine sputtering Reply with quote

I drive a 1991 YJ 2.5L 5speed with a 3 inch Superlift and BFG 33's. Recently, while driving and while idling the engine has tried to sputter out. The RPM's just seem to drop dramatically. I have been able to power thru these sputtering events by putting it in neutral and pressing the gas pedal down repeatedly.

I thought at first it my have been water in the fuel system to I put in some STP additive to remove water, which I thought was working for about a week until I encountered the problem again.

The fuel line recently had a leak repaired, as well as a new radiator and the clutch repaired.

An old volvo I have has had what seems to be the same issue and it needed a new airflow meter.

This problem does not occur all the time, but it has occured at varying speeds and temperatures.

I know I have a problem with oil coming into the air filter, I change the air filter about every month.

Any input on what could be the issue would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.5 YJ does something very similar, but only when I first start driving it. Mine usually stops after about a half mile into the drive, and it's worst when it's cold (no matter how long I let it idle before I drive), but still does it in the summer.

I had a Bronco that did the same thing, and it was diagnosed as old spark plugs, so when the Jeep started doing the same thing, I replaced the plugs, wires, distrubutor/cap, but it kept doing it. I'm beginning to think the throttle is sticking (I have no reason for this, I'm no mechanic mind you), so when the weather breaks that'll be the next thing that gets looked at.

Good luck. I'll be interested in hearing what other ideas come up, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he...this seems to be a fairly common thing. I can't believe no one has figured it out yet Sad

Mine sputters 99% of the time within the first minute & then runs fine the rest of the drive no matter how long that is. My current thought is a fuel leak that is letting air into the system, but it is just a guess & I have no way of telling. I did read in another thread about adding a fuel press gauge, but I haven't done it yet.
98 Sport
35" MTR's
5.5 Rubicon Extended arm Lift
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
Air System Purchased and in the works
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: