Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear axle strength

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Rear axle strength Reply with quote

ok i was just curious what the consensus was, or experience in using a detroit locker in the rear of the chrysler 8.25 with 285/75/16. i have 4.56 gears and im usually pretty slow when crawling in 4-lo, with the occasional
hard throttle attempts when the ruts or rock ledges get stubborn. would 265/75/16 be better? i'd love to go with the 285/75/16 cause of the 4.56 gears. but right now i only have 245/75/16, so either tire size will be much better gearing wise. how do 285/75/16 hold up to 4.56 gears 4.0 motor and stock dana30/chr8.25 axles?

any input would help. thanks guys
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a full Detroit, or a Detroit E-Z locker?

The 4.0 makes plenty of power, so that's not an issue. 4.56's and 33's (285's) should be a pretty good combo and the 97 and up 8.25 is a decent axle in terms of strength. I would upgrade to some alloy shafts in the rear.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking about the full detroit...but would consider the powertrax no-slip. i have the stock l/s, so i dont know if i would need a special case for the powertrax or not.

im also considering leaving the rear end alone, and putting an Auburn Gear ECTED up front in the high pinion D30. what is the consensus on the dana 30 strength with a limited slip/ push button electric locker.

we have installed the auburn gear ected on a few vehicles here at my work but they all had dana 44's. i was hoping the auburn ected with 4.56 gears and the stock limited slip in the rear would be better for a daily driver
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone? anybody at all? Rolling Eyes
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't invest to much into the d30 it won't like those tires with a locker . is a 44 with alloy shafts out of the question ?

otherwise i would just put a ls in the 30 and leave the rear alone . a selectable is best but more expensive and personally to much of an investment in the 30 unless you are going to put in alloy shafts and truss it .

it all depends on how you drive it , but it still only takes that one mud hole or big rock to kill the 30.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the d30 is pretty stout, upgrade to alloy shafts and 35s would be ok with a selectable locker, its all in how you drive and since xjs dont have the v8 you dont have to worry much about the extra torque
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP D30 is an OK axle. I personally would not recommend it for locked applications over 33" tires...especially auto lockers. Over 33", You start running into unit bearing problems and possibly ball joint issues. It all depends on how you wheel it though. If you are playing on the rocks, the possibilty of snapping driver side inner shafts goes up considerably...even with alloys.

I would personally go with a Ox locker, WJ knuckles/outer shafts and a Warn Hub conversion. The Ox cover will help reinforce the casing. The WJ conversion will give you better outer shafts, raise the steering and give you bigger front brakes. The hub conversion lets you disengage the the axle to reduce wear and tear on the ring & pinion when in 2WD.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: