Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions on floor pans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Suggestions on floor pans Reply with quote

I finally got around to cleaning out the jeep, like deep clean, vaccuum and everything. Notice that the carpet was wet, so I pulled it back to find rust, decided to remove all the carpet and it got worse from there.

Suggestions? I really hate to put a motor and more lift in just to have the jeep fall apart later on.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the worst spot is over by the drivers side wheel well? I would go at the whole deck with a wire brush then sander to get it down to bare metal. Then just cut out the bad sections and weld in new sheetmetal to patch the holes.

Since you'll have already done the prep, you'll then have a good excuse to herculine it. Wink

edit - Of course, check out the underside and look for rot as well...if the "frame rails" are deteriorating then you've got a bigger problem. From the pics though, it looks like it was just moisture trapped under the carpet...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivers side wheel well is the worst the second pic is passenger side

Im pretty sure that this damage has been done over years

The jeep came from Norfolk, which is likely where the problem started, of course me wheeling it and water and mud trapped under the carpet didnt help

So hopefully the frame rails arent damaged and the wicked wagon can live on

Oh and I'm single and have the luxury of living at home, no need for excuses to spend money on the heep rofl rofl rofl (not trying to sound like a jerk or anything)
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah...hell, I'm married and I don't make excuses either. rofl

My point is if you are going to go through all the trouble of repairing it, slapping some herculiner on is going to be a snap by comparison. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely. Hopefully the frame rails will be ok. I'm gonna go get a better look tommorow or so, gay work schedule, get too damn tired to do anything
fishjrl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find weld or rivet in replacements if you are not to good with metal work. just look around. you can find any piece
i replaced one on my brothers yj with rivets before i learned to cut, bend, and weld
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace the front driver floor in my 88. I have all kinds of sheetmetal, so I just cut and bent a new floor and riveted it in. I would have welded it but I was just burning through the floor. I sealed up the seams with silicone and riveted away. No more Fred Flinstone for me!
fishjrl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would find some rubber plugs to make drain holes or just drill some in.
if you dont then there is a good chance that it will ust rust away again
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to stay away from rivets, if at all posible Wink When you have metal over lapping metal, then intruduce a hole (aka rivet) it tends trap twice the moisture!! Don't know how many jobs I got to fix because they riveted a piece in and 6 months later it was rusting again. Shocked
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had this problem , wire wheeled it . put on some rust converter a sealer primed it painted it and then sprayed bedliner on it . then put the carpet back on .

still working good for me .

with the hole you will probably have to cut that bit out and weld in a new piece .

there are already drain holes and plugs in a Cherokee . lots of them .

every time i weld my cherokee i usually end up chasing a rust line for a foot , all i can say is don't get to mad at it and almost burn it down and then have it smell like dry chem fire extinguisher for a couple weeks .

if you do rivit it maybe try seam sealer . stronger then a weld they say .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it now, frame rails are still intact, and i cut out a lot of the rust on the drivers side. My dad has a good idea he wants to try, I will post finished pics later
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after removing the front carpet and seeing that the front floor pans were worse than the rear. I'm not real sure what to do, the more carpet I take out the worse it gets

So I am at the point now, do I fix it and hope that it can tolerate the abuse?

Or scrap it and find another rig...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the carpet back down and forget you saw it .

just kidding . how bad is the front , you can weld pieces in . its just how much time do you have to do this , cuz it takes a while .

go find another cherokee and use this one as parts? and swap all your good stuff over .
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the interior out of my beater today so I could get some work done and found a big ass hole by the gas fill pipe, and half the pipe missing as well. I can almost disconnect the left rear shock from inside the heep...! Front is okay thankfully, with just some light surface rust.

For the rear I'll probably cut out whatever looks cancerous, get a new fill pipe protector plate made, and lay down a replacement floorpan. Jeep4x4center has excess inventory factory original plates for <$300 shipped:

I only need the bottom left corner of that thing so it kind of seems overkill actually. I may have the local fabricators cut a patch and weld it in for me. I might take it to the local vocational school and exploit the child labor. Easiest and fastest fix would be to just put gorilla glue around the edges of the cutouts and lay down a piece of dumbass sheet metal. Might learn to weld on this too since nobody will ever see the work.

You can get underseat spot floorpans from Sherman and Raybuck for pretty cheap from either of them.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole passenger side from where you put your feet to all the way back to where rear passengers put their feet. That needs to be replaced

Where you put you feet on the drivers side needs to be replaced

I have a couple of jeeps to look at, trying to keep it under 800 because I dont need a motor, just a good body

My dad seems assured that it can be fixed, he said hes fixed worse, we are just worried that with all the flexing that the cherokee goes through will it hold up with our replacement pans?

edit: After going to those sites, thanks for the links by the way, I would end up needing 300 or so dollars to fix my floor pans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Body & Paint All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: