Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding ABS to a jeep without ABS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulknight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Adding ABS to a jeep without ABS? Reply with quote

I have a 2004 Unlimited that did not come with ABS. I would like to add this to my Jeep. Can anyone tell what I need to do this? I am not worried too much about the mechanical side of the upgrade but more the electronic/computer side of it. Offroad this will not be a problem for me because I already have my sway-lock wired to activate with the airbag kill switch and I can wire the ABS fuse to kill it also.

Thanks,

Dave
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it and buy one with ABS.

Your problem is that ABS and the D44 were not available together on TJs. There are no provisions for tone rings and tone ring sensors to detect a locked wheel.

The D44 is a much more desirable feature so I'd stick with what you got.

Last edited by ehirner on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There use to be a valve that gets spliced in to your existing brake line making a "mechanical" anti-lock brake system. Not sure if there still around or not, but they were popular with the muscle car guys a few years ago. Also they didn't cost much, less than $100.

The theory is, when you do a panic stop, you tend to stab the brakes hard causing a quick pulse of brake fluid that shocks the calipers and locks up your wheels.
The valve acts like a shock absorber and takes the instant pulse of brake fluid and slows it down and lets the fluid bleed thru preventing lock up.
From what I've heard, during normal braking the brake pedal felt slightly stiffer.

But like I mentioned, not sure if that make them anymore.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: