Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nv231 to nv242 swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingmikey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: nv231 to nv242 swap Reply with quote

Thanks for the FAQ post. That covered a lot of my initial questions. I'm looking at buying a 2005 X, and I was wondering if anyone has tried swapping in a NV242 in place of the NV231. Everywhere I've looked, people talk about going the other way (getting rid of full time and opting for part time). I don't think the case will bolt up to the six speed manual (NSG370 I think) as I've only seen select trac available with an automatic. Is there some trick to get past this?
Thanks for any info on this.
-Mike
soulknight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: NV231-242 swap Reply with quote

I too have been looking at doing this swap. If you search for my user name there is already a pretty good tread I started asking the same question and got some good answers. I think that though the 242 has a weaker torque rating than the other t-cases it is a great swap. I really don't think the torque would be an issue unless you were doing some hard core wheeling. There is an HD242 but it does not have a 2WD selection only full time, part time and low. Here are a couple sites you can look into.
www.drivetrain.com will sell you a 242 for a core charge. I don't remember the price though.

www.4x4now.com/4to1.htm has a 4:1 kit for the 242.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm has a unversal shift kit.

www.aev-conversions.com offers the 242 as part of their HEMI swap.

I hope this helps. If you get any other info on this please let me know. What was the FAQ? I'd like to check it out.
campingmikey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply. Your tread helped out a lot. I'm not really planning on doing a lot of hard core off roading, so the torque rating should not be an issue for me either. Tha FAQ was something that was posted as a 'sticky' at the top of the TJ forum (by one of the moderators I think). I'm a newbie to both the Jeep experience and on-line forums, so you'll have to bear with me. The FAQ just has a lot of basic stuff for the new Jeep owner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: