Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

33's...tranny overheat...help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersonicxj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: 33's...tranny overheat...help Reply with quote

i put 33's on my 01 xj, drove it for a few days and it was fine. i brought it off-road and it was fine for a few hours, on the way home it was spitting trans fluid(dont know where from) and was slipping very badly. i dont have a trans cooler, do u guys think that will solve the problem? or is my tranny already fried. thanks.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the fluid smell burnt? When you went off road did you put it in 4 hi or 4 lo?

a trans cooler would definitely help, the only way to tell if your trans is fried is by topping if off with fluid, dont flush it, install the cooler and see how it runs

if your fluid is burnt looking and smells burnt be ready to find a new trans
supersonicxj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it still had its normal red color, had the truck in 4 lo 60% of the time when i was climbing hills. ill put the cooler in and top it off like u said and see what happens. thanks.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it just overheated, you may be lucky, i got the biggest trans cooler napa had it was about half the size of the condensor, to make room i took out the condensor, if your ac works you may want to keep it and go for the smaller cooler anything is better than nothing
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem twice in my '98. As far as I could tell the trans was getting so hot the oil expanded out the dipstick filler tube because both times after it happened the outside of the filler tube was wet with tranny fluid. Each time I overheated it I was in fourth gear and doing a long hard pull up in the mountains. I have since added a tranny cooler and things seem to be fine. I never got it to the point where the transmission slipped though. Wow. When it happened in mine though, the oil was spilling onto the exhaust and I had a plume of white smoke billowing in my rearview, which is why I noticed it was getting way too hot. When I stopped I saw a couple of flare ups on the exhaust. Now I have a 2.5lb. fire extinguisher in the back.

Anyway, before I got the tranny cooler, if I kept it in 3rd up hills or if pulling a small trailer, it prevented this from happening. After each time I overheated it I changed the oil and filter and it runs just like before. If auto companies would install transmission temp gauges we could prevent this from happening in the first place.

If you haven't bought a cooler yet, I would recommend the B&M stacked pancake type coolers... but don't get one more than 3/4" thick if you have A/C because it is a tight fit. I got a 11"x11"x1-1/2" thick cooler from Summit but had to use it on my fullsize truck because it was just too thick to fit properly in the Cherokee.
supersonicxj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidxj, the same exact thing happened to me, 4th gear, comin out the dipstick, onto the exhaust.....i found a good spot that has directions about trans coolers on xj's. http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=21 thanks for the help guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: