Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hydro-lock limited slips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: hydro-lock limited slips Reply with quote

ok just to start things off, in case any one cant figure it out from my name, i have a 1998 5.9L JGC.

i have stock axles frnt and rear and i have had a problem with my limited slips especialy my front. (dont say i dont have em in both cuz i do)
my front limited slip is basicly fried and when im on the trail its as usefull as an open diff.

i took it to the jeep shop (not jeep the company but a guy that duse custom 10" kits and shoit like that) and he said that i have a type of limited slip that has no wearable components and that only JEEP can service.

it is called a "hydro-lock" limited slip
apparently it works when the carrier starts spinning it turns the oil and the oil creates pressure and engauges the limited slip and the faster it spins the better it works.

by basic question is if anyone has ever even heard of this before, and dose anyone know anything about them at all?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a locker in the front .. Especially on a full time 4wd vehicle.. The reason being it will not last very long..(as you must know now...)

You need selectable in front axle or a different transfer case. (242 or 231)

If you are going to go with a selectable .. Allow me to recommend the OX locker.. If you are going to swap t cases put in a 231.. Mr. Green

It wont do you any good to rebuild that front locker.. (even if you could ) because it will just wear out again with normal driving...

Good luck and let us know what you decide..

carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a locker.... its a limited slip.

Last edited by 5.9 andy on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.9 andy wrote:
learn to read.

Great way to make friends....or get your question answered. no
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duuuude, you just dissed the GC God!!? That guy has more knowledge and fab experience on 4WDs than Indian Larry had on cycles. If you point out a mistake to him he'll admit it. But be nice, he's a nice guy.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your limited slip differential uses a gerotor ( positive displacement internal gear hydraulic pump using a rotor instead of a gear )

i could fix it , its a simple internal gear hydraulic pump tolerances are within .0001 of an inch and such a spec of dirt can take it out . its really a great idea for a limited slip *rolls eyes*

basically it would be cheaper to go but a after market ls or selectable locker , it would also be a better system less affected by contamination.

it is also a wearable component just like anything else , it just doesn't have clutches or a snycro to wear out .

i can't give you an idea on what it would cost to do it with out taking it apart but as a rule with hydraulic pumps you usually throw it out and replace the hole thing while it gets sent away for warantee because when you take them apart everything is usually worn equally .

they have there goods and bads mostly the biggest problem is finding parts and repairs , contamination is also a big issue . this all equals $$$

you should be more polite on this forum you would go farther i definitely thought twice about answering this post .listen to swamp boy he knows what he talking about .

if you question my ability im a heavy duty mechanic that takes apart hydraulic pumps and valve banks worth ++++ 50 000 k all the time. i believe there are some hydraulic experts on this site with more experience then me also so be nice and you will be helped .
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity: Why do lockers (or limited slips/gerotor thingys/whatever) wear out abnormally fast in the front axle with a full time t-case? I mean they are in general use (at least lockers and limited slips are, don't know about gerotor thingys or whatever) in the rear axles, and those are constantly powered, whether with a part time of full time t-case?

--
Best regards,
Kári
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im gona just like with my slips untill i do a dana 44 front swap, then ill proably do ARB air.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaos wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Why do lockers (or limited slips/gerotor thingys/whatever) wear out abnormally fast in the front axle with a full time t-case? I mean they are in general use (at least lockers and limited slips are, don't know about gerotor thingys or whatever) in the rear axles, and those are constantly powered, whether with a part time of full time t-case?

--
Best regards,
Kári

because your turning , the full time mode uses the transfercase as a open differential between the two axles , this doesn't work with limited slips because this transfer case should allow you to have only one wheel locked to be used as a traction control device eg three slip so they just spin and don't send you all over the place and the one with traction doesn't do anything . it will get you no were off road but works on the roads in ice to keep you from crashing (some times)

so basically limited slips in a full time vehicle doesn't actually work as a traction control it just gives you 4wd basically all the time and will wear out all of your drive line faster .

this is designed for some one who drives around in the winter not some one who off roads , and having limited slips defeats the purpose of it . im pretty sure that was unclear sorry .
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record.. He appoligized to me in a PM.. I was not phased by it anyway.. I have thick skin and a bald head.. rofl...

And for the record.. I am no Indian Larry... That guy made a frame out of chain and rode with no hands...

I certainly need both hands..

rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
For the record.. He appoligized to me in a PM.. I was not phased by it anyway.. I have thick skin and a bald head.. rofl...

And for the record.. I am no Indian Larry... That guy made a frame out of chain and rode with no hands...

I certainly need both hands..

rofl rofl rofl

some forums are pretty rough so its understandable , and im sure you could one hand it
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never one hand it in my Jeep. rofl rofl rofl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: