Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 Jeep GC codes 1762 and 1763

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wan2live

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: 97 Jeep GC codes 1762 and 1763 Reply with quote

My valve body was replaced at 33K and I now have 185K and I am getting error codes 1762 and 1763 I spoke with a mechanic briefly and he said the valve body needs to be replaced/overhauled. Is this something for the weekend warrior or am I better off having a shop do this?

I have done a ton of work on my Jetta and I am pretty strong mechanically but am I up for the Jeep challenge?

Thanks in advance.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*edit* welcome to the forum

Last edited by Brad The Best on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
wan2live

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad

It's the Valve Body in the Trani Wink Wink

I had the VB replaced under warranty when it was at 33K because it was slipping etc and Dymler made the shop replace it.

I'll look for a DIY on here to clean it out
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1762 The Governor Pressure Sensor input was too high or too low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations.
1763 The Governor Pressure Sensor input is too high

Here's a link for OBD codes.
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719

Is the tranny slipping now?

wan2live

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orange

Well the trani was slipping on Thursday so someone recomeded changing the fluid and filter which I did and it seemed to run good for a while until it got hot hot so I took to Advance auto and had the codes pulled which were the ones listed so I checked the codes from the forums and found what you posted.

I spoke to a mecanic who mentioned it was my valve body which was not to much of a suprise because the dealership replaced it at 33K miles and it now has 185K, when I drained the pan and removed the filter the oil was a dark brown and there was alot of gunk on the magnet and in the pan.

When I put everything back to gether it ran ok for a bit then started back up but today after it sat for a day the check engine light went off and I see no more signs of the slipping so could it be that the new oil has broke free what ever was causing these codes?

I beleive that dexII was put in it when I replaced the filter and gasket about 100K ago because the stealership did not tighten the bolts well and I had a leak, I am not sure if the dexII could have finally caused all of this mess but this last time I went with +4
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that the problem seems to be clearing up. The tranny fluid should be changed at the most every 30,000 miles. You say it's been 100,000 miles since the last change. That's a long time with the same fluid, I bet that's the problem.

Did you adjust the bands when you changed the fluid? Do you have a 4.0 or 5.2?

I would change the fluid again, maybe even flush it if the pan is filled with gunk again when dropped. Just run it for a couple days and get new filter and fluid. I like to add a bottle of Lucas in the tranny, it works great!!!

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hahaha , i thought he jsut used different lingo then me.

since you cleaned it all out i would get your tranny nice and hot , go for a good run and change the fluid again that should get more of the crap out of there , i had a aw4 that haden't had a change in about that many miles and was having the same problem . dropped the pan cleaned it out and ran 3 batches of oil through it , she works great now . mine might of been more extreme then yours .
wan2live

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guy's

It's a 4.0 Orange

I will change the fluid again this weekend and pick up some lucas, I saw some posts about redline here has anyone used it in a 4.0 or should I just stick with the +4
wan2live

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the slipping came back so I drained the pan and put a new filter in with +4 fluid to see if it will get back to normal again/ The engine light came back on so I think the Valve body is really shot so I am going to take it to Aamco and let them do their free tranny check for me and go from there.

Every mechanic I call and tell I want a quote for a VB replacement tells me to bring it in so they can charge me to tell me what I already know.

If I get a rebuilt VB is there anything more than removing the hex bolts and rebolting it in?
Tardis

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wan2live wrote:
Every mechanic I call and tell I want a quote for a VB replacement tells me to bring it in so they can charge me to tell me what I already know.
If I get a rebuilt VB is there anything more than removing the hex bolts and rebolting it in?

Why do you need a new valve body? Just change the bogus Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid. As for Lucus trans treatment, a friend of mine wasted his trans with that stuff. It works good on mechanically actuated trannys, but is too thick for solenoid actuated trannys. The "best" stuff the use as far as tranny treatments go is LubeGard. It doesn't hurt the trans or the electronics, it simply removes the varnish from the clutch packs, steels and valve body without damaging anything. I brought a 2spd Ford-O-Matic, and a TH350 back to life with LubeGard. It's works great.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tardis wrote:
As for Lucus trans treatment, a friend of mine wasted his trans with that stuff. It works good on mechanically actuated trannys, but is too thick for solenoid actuated trannys. The "best" stuff the use as far as tranny treatments go is LubeGard. It doesn't hurt the trans or the electronics, it simply removes the varnish from the clutch packs, steels and valve body without damaging anything. I brought a 2spd Ford-O-Matic, and a TH350 back to life with LubeGard. It's works great.

Well I would guess that you're assuming the Lucas "wasted" the tranny. How would you know that it was definitely the cause? The tranny was probably on its last leg, and I would guess that's why he was adding the Lucas. No treatment out there can restore a dying tranny, that's about to quit. I've used Lucas in many different vehicles from Cadillacs, to Mercedes, to JEEPS. All with same results. It did what it said it would and worked great. I wouldn't be able to call Lucas the "best" stuff to use as far as tranny treatments go, because I haven't tried every brand on the market. That would be ridiculous if I did. I can suggest it to be considered an option.

Hey, we're all entitled to different opinions. That's what forums are good for. Mr. Green

I would do what Tardis says and change the solenoid and sensor. If that's what the codes are throwing at you, then that's what you should address. Cool

Tardis

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Tardis wrote:
As for Lucus trans treatment, a friend of mine wasted his trans with that stuff. It works good on mechanically actuated trannys, but is too thick for solenoid actuated trannys. The "best" stuff the use as far as tranny treatments go is LubeGard. It doesn't hurt the trans or the electronics, it simply removes the varnish from the clutch packs, steels and valve body without damaging anything. I brought a 2spd Ford-O-Matic, and a TH350 back to life with LubeGard. It's works great.
Well I would guess that you're assuming the Lucas "wasted" the tranny. How would you know that it was definitely the cause? The tranny was probably on its last leg, and I would guess that's why he was adding the Lucas.

Actually his trans worked fine before he put the Lucas trans treatment in. The truck had about 75K on it when he did it. We told him not to put the Lucas treatment in, and he did anyway and wasted the 1st-2nd and O/D solenoids in his trans. It really is too thick. I don't have anything against Lucas products. My friend runs Lucas engine oil treatment in his vehicles with no problems. The stuff works good.
LubeGard "is" the best trans treatment. I've heard this from evey mechanic I know. The stuff works great. A friend of mine that rebuilds trannys for a living turned me onto it about 10 years ago when I had 2nd to 3rd shift problems with my Chevy Impala's TH350. I poored a bottle of that stuff in and within 1hr is shifted like a dream. I never had a trans problem in that car again.
wan2live

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tardis"]
wan2live wrote:
Just change the bogus Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid.

Anyone have a part number for these parts?
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two eBay auctions with the Governor Pressure Soleniod and Sensor.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180101322921&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180101323105&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180101323105&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180101322921&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
wan2live

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tardis wrote:
Here are two eBay auctions with the Governor Pressure Soleniod and Sensor.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180101322921&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180101323105&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180101323105&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180101322921&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Ok I'll order one of each and replace them and keep my fingers crossed that this fixes it I'll come back once I take care of it and let you know.

They look like they just pop out and pop back in is this the case? I really do not want to break anything when replacing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: