Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

93jgc 4.0 oil filter adap leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slider19721

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: 93jgc 4.0 oil filter adap leak Reply with quote

am having trouble trying to remove oil filter adapter from block. is leaking and i don't know how to remove it and replace o-ring. i saw another similar problem in this forum and it said to use a t-60 star allen. i looked into the hole with a mirror and it looks like it might be stripped. is there a bolt inside the housing that's supposed to turn or does the whole adapter unthread from the block? PLEASE HELP!!!! shock shock
Tardis

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 93jgc 4.0 oil filter adap leak Reply with quote

slider19721 wrote:
am having trouble trying to remove oil filter adapter from block. is leaking and i don't know how to remove it and replace o-ring. i saw another similar problem in this forum and it said to use a t-60 star allen. i looked into the hole with a mirror and it looks like it might be stripped. is there a bolt inside the housing that's supposed to turn or does the whole adapter unthread from the block? PLEASE HELP!!!! shock shock

My friend replaced his awhile back, and his torx bolt was stripped too.
We took all the associated crap out of the way, removed the engine mount bolt, picked the engine up a few inches with a chainfall for clearance, and snuck a pair of visegrips in on the bolt head. It took about 2 hours, and it hasn't leaked since.
minnie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same situation a month ago but that is an easy fix! I go to the dealer and ask for a Jeep oil
filter adapter "repair kit" and it will come with all the O-rings you
are going to need. The end of the adapter pointing toward the frame
rail has a TORX driver depression in it that you can't see. I can't
remember the size of it, but do'nt buy a cheap one, try to buy the original one. Just unscrew that bolt,
disasseble the whole thing and reassemble with the new O-rings.
During dissassembly, I had to help the Torx driver along with by
channel locks on the head of that large mounting bolt to keep from
rounding out the drive depression!

Good Luck!!!
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I had no real problem with torx head (VERY HARD to reach and get on to it) BUT I had to order repair kit from dealer. Wait a week. Got kit, looked right initially, but when I got home and tore it apart, were wrong sizes.

I went back to dealer, kit was right part number according to his book (for 1992 XJ) but even package said different years.

I eventually obtained part numbers for individual O rings from someone on another forum and ordered them individually and then finnally got it fixed!

I think 92 was a crossover type year for the sizes of Oil Filter Adapter ?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: