Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ 249 TC Exorcism - Is it worth it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryCz

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: ZJ 249 TC Exorcism - Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I joined this forum to get a better idea about options regarding my 249 transfer case. I have a 95 GC 5.2 with a lot of miles on it. Runs great, but over the last six months or so, I have recognized what I now know to be a viscous coupler failure.

Through various jeep forums, Iíve read up on the choices of simply replacing the coupler, or swapping out the tc for a 231 or 242. My question for those who have swapped out their their transfer case is: is it worth it? Or, if you simply replaced the coupler, are you happy that's all you did?

Does the extra labor/cost justify the gain. It looks to me (from my limited knowledge) that actual drivetrain wear is almost the same, since the front differential would still be turning. (Correct me if Iím wrong.) It seems the main benefit to swapping the tc is the ability to use two wheel drive if one desires, as well as to be rid of the nasty viscous coupler

Iím not extremely mechanical, and the tc swap looks like it would put my abilities to the stretch.

Iíve located a 231hd off a 98 Dodge Dakota. Anyone know if this would work on my 95 GC V8?

Terry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's worth it! good mod I went with the 231 and wouldn't want anything else! My vc was still fine, I was just sick of the fulltime t-case.
There is less wear on the front end with the 231 or 242. Everything is still spinning in the front while in 2wd, but there is no power behind it so it's a lot easier on the components.
There is less tire wear in the front without the tires constantly pulling on turns.
Gas mileage is improved. Not drastically, but anything helps with prices nowadays!
You can smoke the rears anytime you want!!!
That Dakota t-case should be great!!! You may need to swap input gears, but that isn't too hard.

TerryCz

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orange. Better mileage! That alone makes it worth it.

Terry
TerryCz

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be answered elsewhere, but do you know if either of these transfer cases are easier to install. Does either require less parts, or less conversion of internal parts?

Terry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same to install. It's not hard, it just takes a while!!! Cool I would go hith the 231 HD from the dakota, it's the strongest you can get. Without switching to an Atlas.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 249-242 swap, and it went way easier than I thought it would. 2 tips, get that truck up as high as you can and have a transmission jack handy, I had to muscle that sucker up and it wasn't fun..... but it's so cool after u get it done. Any gearheads you know will say, "WOW, you actually took apart your transfer case and put it back together?!?!" Shocked They think it's one of those macabre arts, like the "mysterious" auto transmissions. Oh yeah! absolutely use Swamp Boy's guide, it helps alot. Good Luck Man!!
TerryCz

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ďIt's not hard, it just takes a while!!!Ē

Thatís good news. Iíve had trannyís and transfer cases out before, but my hesitancy has been that Iíve never opened up a tc before. Iím looking at heading to Denver on Sunday to pick up the 231 (gotta remember to pick up snap ring pliers).

Terry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cajzmere wrote:
Any gearheads you know will say, "WOW, you actually took apart your transfer case and put it back together?!?!" Shocked They think it's one of those macabre arts,

That's for sure, but once the t-case is split it's really quite simple in design IMO. People are just intimidated by the thought of tearing into it. rofl

Terry make sure you get good snap ring pliers!!! They will be your best friend throughout the process. Like Cajzmere said, get the truck up as high as possible. If you can get or already have a tranny jack use it. I didn't have one and did the swap solo, is was really fun getting the t-case up and in. Cool

5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dose anyone know if doge ever made a 4X4 van?
in my local yard there is like 10 big old doge vans and i just had the thought. im gona guess no, but ill go check the yard when i get some time this week.
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: tailhousing to long? Reply with quote

Hi OrangeMC13,

Regarding your observations of the pic of the 231 hd transfer case I was looking at. I spoke to the gentleman again about tailhousing length. He has another tailhousing and shaft off a Wagoneer that fits a 231. At this point, unless someone sees a problem, I will still pick this item up and do the swap (or at least attempt it)?

Terry

5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW Shocked that tail shaft is huge!!
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ďthat tail shaft is huge!!Ē

Came stock on a 98 Durango.

Terry
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Will it still be HD? Reply with quote

One more question (at least for now) for the ďexpertsĒ. On this case pictured, I have to swap in my input shaft, as well as remove this 32 spline tail shaft and housing, and install a 27 spline. In doing this, will I be in essence, eliminating the ďheavy dutyĒ rating from this 231hd. If so, I know of another 231 for half the price that is somewhat rebuilt.

Terry
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think so, i know one of the things that makes an HD a HD is that it has a wider chain then the standard 231. ill check around some T-case theads and c.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, it is a wider chain that that makes it a HD. I would just look for a 231 out of a Cherokee and it will be a lot easier to install. If your lucky you won't have to swap anything and it will bolt right up. If not, you'll only have to swap the input gear.
If you're gonna change the shaft and tailhousing on the 231 HD, you might as well get a SYE and do it right the first time.
If you've never opened a T-case before, take the easier route, look for an XJ t-case!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: