Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ 249 TC Exorcism - Is it worth it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryCz

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll get an education. Sent the money out yesterday for the 231. I won't pick it up for a week or two.

Terry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to post your progress.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! plz keep us updated on your progress... when i do this im gona go allout the first time and get a 231HD and do a heavy duty SYE kit.
timber tramp

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: 249>242 (almost there) I think! Reply with quote

I e-mailed swamp boy but it got returned. Don't know what's up there. I'm just finishing up a 249>242 swap in my 94ZJ, 5.2 auto. The 242 is out of a 91XJ so now I have a extra electrical plug located just below where my speedometer plugs in. Does anyone know which on I am suppose to use and do I need to get a different plug? Confused
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have the plug for the XJ air lines. Mine was from an 88 XJ and has the same plug. I just left it alone it is only for the 4wd indicator light when used on a ZJ, on an XJ I'm pretty sure it's the swtch that activates the front disconnect motor and the light. I'm not sure which electrical switch to buy to replace it. I know when I'm in 4wd, so I'm cool without it!!! Cool
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the VIC out of mine and replaced it with a switch panel.. I know when I am in 4 wd I dont need no stinkin light.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timber tramp

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: extra plug Reply with quote

thanks for the info. This is an electrical plug, vacuum switch, I believe. Is that what you are referring to?
phughes

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: NP249 to NP231 swap Reply with quote

Just finished installing a NP231 HD from JB Conversions with SYE kit, bolted right up. Installed a 37" center to center drive shaft that I got off EBAY. The only thing I had to do was use a shorter shift linkage on TC, adjusted linkage and shifts good. Anyone installing in 96 GC with 5.2 and automatic that need info send me an email.
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading to the Denver area tomorrow to pick up the 231d HD. Then Iíll be able to examine some of the swap parts to see what the project will look like. Iím not sure if Iíll be installing it or not. It may be too much for me at this time and I may be selling it for what I have in it. It will come with an additional correct spline (for 95 ZJ) output shaft and housing, as well as the original shift linkage from the Durango.

Iíll post again after I see what things look like.

Terry
TerryCz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started my 249 to 231 swap today. Dropped the 249 and removed the input shaft from it and installed it in the 231. Removed the output shaft from the 231 and put the properly splined output in the 231. In the process however, I hit somewhat of a major snag. My more knowledgeable assistant noticed that both shift forks for the 231 are severely worn and should be replaced.

Do any of you have shift forks kicking around that may work? I have part numbers available if anyone would like them. Dealer price is about $150 and since I am selling the ZJ, Iíd rather not spend that much on it.

Other than that, it looked like the tc would have been reinstalled in the rig within 6 or 7 hours from the start of the process (minus an hour for lunch).

Terry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the durango t-case?
TerryCz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I am using the Durango tc. A 27 spline output shaft and the correct tail housing was provided with the tc, so everything was compatible. The man said the tcase worked fine in the Durango, but he upgraded to an Atlas tcase. I could put the thing together as is, and the forks would probably last as long as the rest of the rig, but since I know they are worn, I'm looking for replacements.

Terry
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH yeah.. My email adress is Deltaswampy@gmail.com I will try to change my profile soon incase thats not the one on there..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: forks located Reply with quote

I have located the shift forks I needed. The tc is in the vehicle, seems to work fine. I have some linkage adjustments to take care of, mount the driveshafts (no altering required) then I will be finished. I'll put an updated post on later.

Terry
TerryCz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Up and running! Reply with quote

I completed the tcase swap several days ago, after acquiring the two shift forks that I needed. The swap was a grand success and everything runs and shifts smoothly. Since this 231d hd case came from a 98 Durango, there were a few quirks that had to be ironed out.

Input shaft bearing - After swapping the 249 input shaft into the 231, and swapping the output shaft from a 231 Jeep into the 231hd, it was noticed that the two chain drive gears were not aligned with each other. The bearing inside the input shaft had to be moved about 3/16 of an inch into the case.

Shift selector sensor - The sensor that tells the Vehicle Information Center (VIC) what gear the tcase is in does not function at this time (maybe never will). The shift selector inside the case had too abrupt of an angle, and with the sensor in place, prohibited proper shifting. If I had discovered this soon enough, I could have ground the part down a bit and it would have worked. This problem was not discovered until the tcase was assembled and ready to install. I removed the sensor and put the plug back in which was originally there.

Shift bezel - I looked at more than a dozen Cherokees at a wrecking yard, and was not able to locate a shift bezel that matched my vehicle. I found many which had the correct shift pattern, but none were the proper size. I had wondered if my console was specific to the GC with 249 case, and therefore no proper shift bezel exists. Maybe someone else knows the answer to this. I have not been to the dealer as of yet.

Linkage - A slight bit of linkage adjustment was necessary, yet I did not have to swap any parts. I bent one linkage arm to both create a better angle, and to shorten its length. Seems to work well.

Drive shafts - As I stated earlier, I did not have to alter either drive shaft. I was glad about that one.

Total cost for the swap was $365 which included tcase, new shift forks and a couple seals.

The exorcism was definitely worth it.

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: