Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want my jeep to sound mean...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s1deout

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Want my jeep to sound mean... Reply with quote

Hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death, but i was unable to find by searching.

I have a 94 Jeep Xj (2 dr / 5 spd) and, bascially, I want it to sound mean.

This is my second Jeep and also my second car, but it's great for the winter since I live in PA and it runs better than my honda in the snow.

I don't know much about this stuff, most of my car knowledge is with maintenance, i.e Changing Brakes, oil, etc...

I'm assuming that I will need to install a cold air intake (since additional HP and MPG would be nice) and a new exhaust/muffler??

If anyone could point me in the right direction to get my jeep to growl that would be swell.

Thanks!!!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much extra $$$ do u have?

if you got LOTS get an intake, headers, high-flow cat, muffler (flow master rocks) and 2.5 or 3 inch pipes.

if u got fair get all thet except headers, and the cat.

if ur on a buget intake and muffler.

if ur a true jeeper, ur pockets will be dead empty two cents , in this case just get a muffler.

all that is just my opinion.
s1deout

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to spend between 500-800 bucks to get this done and I also want to do it right the first time.

What type/brand of CAI do you recommend. Are there ones that fit the existing intake housing or require little modification??

Also how difficult is it to install a new muffler if i've never done it before.

Thanks for the advice!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the CAI goes, K&N is the only way 2 go, i LOVE mine.

i dont know if the XJ's have weled or bolted exaust systems, im guessing bolted because that what my ZJ and my buddys YJ is.

its that not hard if u can weld, if not a muffler shop will do it, proably like 40$.

if u wana do it u just cut your muffler out where it is, put up the new one then do the best you can 2 find a pipe l little biggger than ur muffler's pipe and ur main and then slide it over and weld it up.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a lot to play with for an exhaust, do the whole package then a performance header, the stock ones are prone to cracking anyway, then a high flow cat, with a flowmaster muffler, as for the intake if you wheel it you will need something to keep mud from splashing on the filter
whlstnd

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it kills me to see people promote the flowmaster muffler. if you do any checking around you will find that its the worst flowing performance muffler made. its hardly better than stock.
just my .02(but its fact)
mike
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whlstnd wrote:
it kills me to see people promote the flowmaster muffler. if you do any checking around you will find that its the worst flowing performance muffler made. its hardly better than stock.
mike

Have you owned one before?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um actually getting a muffler doesnt promote much performance gain anyway, all your paying for is sound, but any aftermarket muffler such as flowmaster and dynomax do flow more than stock.

I got that info from the petersens mag

and the flowmaster is a mean sounding muffler which is what he wants

Everyone has their own opinion, for my xj that i bash off road, i just straight piped it, the muffler doesnt hit the driveshaft during flex, it sounds mean too

so save money, straight pipe, sound mean still have a muffler, flowmaster
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well. I run my Jeep on road more often than not, so I have Flowmaster installed. It's far better than the stock muffler, and sounds better as well. It's not as evil as, say, a cherry bomb or a straight glasspack, but it's throaty enough to let others know what you have.

5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i !LOVE! my flowaster and i dont c what the difference can b between one company from another except a stamped name and price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was my xj straight piped on the shoe creek run drake? I think it was but im not sure, and since you got to hear it close and such because I was driving I'm sure you can sway people as to whether or not a straight pipe would be too loud
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my flowmaster 110% more than my 2 dollar cherry bomb. there is a big differance between the 2.. other performance mufflers may be good but for 80 bucks why take a gamble? flowmaster is known and trusted it is what gives ALL mustangs that great purrr... and also my jeep! i love it to death i also am all for Knn get a drop in for 50 bucks if you cat afford the fipk its betta than stock.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
whlstnd wrote:
mike

Have you owned one before?

owned a flowmaster, no i would never. i understand that alot of people like the sound of them and thats fine but what i was saying is that they dont flow enough cfm. i dont understand why you would buy a performance muffler(unless all you wanted was sound) and pick the one that flows the lowest cfm (bottom 3 if memory is right). just putting my .02 in
mike
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hollowed out my cat and welded on a Flowmaster. I've definitely seen a slight jump in performance, and the "sound" is unbelievable.

Whlstnd if you still have a stock muff, you should try a Flowmaster or any other high flow muffler and then you would have backing for your opinion!
Right now your two cents isn't worth half a penny.

Here's a link for a free catalog!

I found a couple of cutaways. I just don't understand why you would think these are restrictive?

Just to be clear I don't think Flowmaster is the best out there. I just find it ridiculous that is was said to be hardly better than stock. rofl

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:

Just to be clear I don't think Flowmaster is the best out there. I just find it ridiculous that is was said to be hardly better than stock.

Try googling slowmaster and see what you get. If you're all about the sound, then knock yourself out. If you don't want to see your torque drop, then look at something other than a flowmaster. Think about it - do you want a muffler with that sends your exhaust every which way (as in your photos and all the cutaway models at all the exhaust shops) or a straight through design like a magnaflow, dynomax, etc? If you're looking for performance, you want your exhaust out faster, not flowing all around the rat's maze.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: