Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want my jeep to sound mean...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that dynomax did have a pretty noticeable increase in performance on my grand but it sounded like crap, thats why I went with flowmaster. I didnt lose any performance when I swapped, just sounded a lot better to me

What muffler is better is always going to be a matter of opinion, anything other than stock will be better cfm and performance wise, you just have to listen to the different types on a vehicle similar to yours to decide which you like best sound wise.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
I hollowed out my cat and welded on a Flowmaster. I've definitely seen a slight jump in performance, and the "sound" is unbelievable.

Whlstnd if you still have a stock muff, you should try a Flowmaster or any other high flow muffler and then you would have backing for your opinion!
Right now your two cents isn't worth half a penny.

Here's a link for a free catalog!

I found a couple of cutaways. I just don't understand why you would think these are restrictive?

Just to be clear I don't think Flowmaster is the best out there. I just find it ridiculous that is was said to be hardly better than stock. rofl

no i dont have a stock muffler and i have alot of backing for my .02. its called cfm and that is a measure of the amount of exhaust can flow thru it. i have done extensive research on exhaust(used to play with race cars, mustangs drag racing). first of the sound is up to the person who owns the vehicle. im only talking about the company flowmaster as a performance muffler. i will find the cfm ratings of alot of companies and post it on here later so that you can see what you are putting on as far as performance mufflers.
mike
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sure dont see how a flowmaster is "restrictive".. guy that never tried flowmaster is talking out of his butt. Flowmaster is a great brand and provides MORE performance gains then any cherry bomb any stock muffler and MOST other after market mufflers. they are built very strong and the metal is over 3 times thicker then cherry bomb. it is a stout muffler and well worth every penny. it is specially designed to send exhuast through the "rat maze" which gives it its unique sound. dont think for a secound that you arent getting a top of the line muffler if you get a flowmaster. i like 40 series...

BY THE WAY a mufflers job is creat back pressure; if you want zero restriction then why dont you cut off the pipe at the cat and run it straight pipe? cuz there isnt enough back pressure. im really doubting there is a better muffler than flow master at the same price. i know magniflow and dynomax are great but usaully more expensive and harder to find.. at least for me.. and i LOVE the flowmaster sound it is one of a kind.

im not telling you to get flowmaster but dont doubt its greatness its your choice to make and if i knew how id put a clip of my 93 5.2 with a super 40 flowmaster... it sounds SICK! definately mean like you said you wanted
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15 wc

2 Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

Standard OEM 2 Inlet/Outlet 138-152 CFM
Standard OEM 2 Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM

The madrel bending of the pipes done by aftermarket exhaust companies is good for 2-4 h.p. depending on the severity of the stock bends. Most local exhaust places dont have a mandrel bender so changing the pipes out doesnt do anything if pipe size it not increased.

My opinion, if its more noise and a little more power just add the best flowing stainless muffler to the current system and never do it again. If you increase pipe sizes, then a local shop and only stainless. Dont care about money but want ease and better gains than most local shops can offer with no pipe size increase, and aftermarket exhaust.

NOISE does not mean power, some think it does is why Flowmasters are sold in the numbers they are!!!
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
Standard OEM 2 Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM
wow how about that only about 30 cfm increase of flow from a stock 2.5 stock muffler to a 2.5 flowmaster. so to all who like to disagree why dont you do a little reading first.
on a second note if you are buying a flowmaster muffler for a small performance gain and the sound then thats fine. but if you want a performance muffler to actually perform and get some kind of bang for your buck then i would look elsewhere.
mike
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you run?
whlstnd

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my last car i ran the hooker aerochambers. flowed great and yet was quiet enough to run my can on the street without getting bothered by the cops. i really liked the sound of them cause they dont resanate in the car like some of the others do. in my jeep right now im not sure whats on there but i know its some kind of cheap aftermarket muffler. when i get some free time and put my header and motor mounts on im going to be changing the muffler, and i thinking of using the aerochamber muffler on the jeep.
mike
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many cfm's does the cheap aftermarket muffler push?

Call me a skeptic, but one lab's test results aren't sufficient. Many lab's with the same results, that's a different story.

We aren't running the 1/4 mile with "stangs". We're low gearing on the trails with JEEPS.

If Flowmaster has such high sale numbers, they've got to be doing something right. The sale numbers should speak for themselves.

Whlstnd, by the way, I see that you joined if Feb. and have not been greeted, welcome to the forum! Very Happy

whlstnd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thanks for the welcome.

i do realize that its a diffrent type of beast from the jeep to a drag mustang. but just cause they sell alot doesnt mean its good its all in the advertising(penzoil sells alot of oil but it some of the worst oil you can buy). i have read on more than one lab test for the same thing and everything comes out the same. if you are buying a muffler for sound then thats one thing, but if your buying a muffler for performance than the flowmaster is not a good choice.
im not sure what my cheap muffler pushes, if i had to guess id say a hair more than stock. thats why im changing it when i get my header put on.
mike
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree to disagree on this one.. the lab results are most definately bias saying a cherry bomb is better than a flow master... the way this table tricked you was by making you think cfm is what counts towards added performace... i already stated the muffler with the most flow is NOT nessicarily the best muffler... im sure if this test was done on a grand cherokee it would have different numbers... was this car a race modified engine? did they get all the different numbers from one vehicle? all engines require different amounts of back pressure to run at peak performance.... OUR jeeps do NOT perform at their peak performace with the most amount of flow out... in order to run the muffler with the most flow and not suffer a loss in peak power the engine would need to be fully race modified... not just headers and cold air intake ... but also a larger throttle body port and polished heads higher flowing intake manifold performance cam roller rockers pushrods performace ignition better spark new pcm etc etc etc etc

SO with that being sayed i still think flowmaster is the best upgrade to a stock to heavily modified engine...
have you by chance seen ALL of the "performance" mufflers you listed? are they all as strong and durable as flowmaster? answer is no.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok first off there is no car in these tests only the cfm flow ratings of a muffler.
the lab results are not biased, these are not on opinion these are actual flow #'s of different mufflers. im sorry you dont like the results because you feel that your flowmaster is the best muffler made, but the truth is that based on flow #'s its not the best.
second, nowhere have i ever discussed the sound of a muffler or the strength of the case, personally i think the new flowmaster muffler with the diamond plate case looks very strong and im sure can take quiet a beating. that does not change the fact that it flow ratings are awful.
u see the problem is you think its a great upgrade. what im saying is fact not opinion, that yes a flowmaster is better than stock but not even close to some of the others that are made.
you have to understand when i say better im only talking about cfm ratings taken from a flow bench, not what it sounds like or how strong the case is.
mike
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well since you dont understand english, even though mine is quite awful at times Razz, let me go over it 1 more again ...... you are obviously not basing your opinon on your OWN exploits like the rest of us... we have tried other mufflers AND flowmaster and we are vouching for its performance gains. this thread is about a guy who wants to have his Jeep sound MEAN... flowmaster is the best muffler we have found to achieve this.. it is heavy duty strong and produces a unique gargle.. it is not built like other mufflers with dampers or chambers but bounces it off walls to achieve a MEAN sound... the cfm is not what regulates power.. if i run my Jeep with out any muffler at all i do not gain power but lose power as compared to when i have the flowmaster on.. my super 40 series flows excellent, so i wonder which flowmaster your little independent "lab" tested. i have never heard a 5.2 sound any better than one with a flowmaster... www.KevinsOffRoad.com -- a zj God in my book --reccomends this system as opposed to others hands down... and them guys at koliak know how to get the MOST out of a Jeep... but what ever.. you know it all right???
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
you are obviously not basing your opinon on your OWN exploits like the rest of us... we have tried other mufflers AND flowmaster and we are vouching for its performance gains.

Okay, I'll bite, what are you basing your opinion on? Have you had your jeep on a dyno? Seat of the pants? Somebody's brother's neighbor's mailman's experience that you read about on the internet? Just wondering. And please feel free to lose the condescending tone.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dank you just really dont get it do you.
but hey you believe what you want and ill go off of facts not some guys opinion.
mike
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would consider those to be hamster mazes....i rats mazes are a bit more complex.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: