Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

? about 4WD system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emr454

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: ? about 4WD system Reply with quote

H all. I have a 95 XJ sport and I have a questions about the 4 wheel drive system. According to the Haynes repair manual, if I have an NP 231 T-case, its the Command-Trac 4WD system. The front axle is supposed to be controlled by a vacuum disconnect so that its not turning while the vehicle is in 2WD, and its supposedly mounted to the front axle.I cant, for the life of me, find the vacuum disconnect motor or anything remotely close to looking like it. There isnt anything, other than the control arms and shock mounts, that is mounted to the axle. Can someone help me out here? Is it just me or do I have some sort of obscure setup on my XJ? Thanks.

Eric
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92' + up don't have them. Mr. Green
emr454

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I must have missed that.

So what is and isnt turning when in 2WD? Is is disconnected inside the T-case then? Thanks.

Eric
cksport

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is either permently locked or has auto locking hubs usually the later
kaos

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No auto locking hubs on the XJ, unless you count the vacuum disconnect, which, as already pointed out, they dropped in '92. On later models, everything turns, all the time, but the front axle is disconnected from the rest of the driveline inside the transfer case when in 2wd.

Regards,
--
Kári
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cksport wrote:
it is either permently locked or has auto locking hubs usually the later

Let's try the former. There are no locking hubs, manual or locking, in Jeeps for about the last 20 years. Jeep has used the unit bearings which is a direct, permanent connection between the shafts and the hub. The shafts always spin and in the case of later models without the vacuum disconnect on the front axle, the driveshaft always spins as well. This would be your late model XJs, all TJs, and all ZJs. On these models, the disconnect occurs at the t-case when you disengage 4wd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: