Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ Unlimited differential question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mix1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: TJ Unlimited differential question. Reply with quote

When Changing my differential fluid in my 2005 TJ Unlimited(NOT RUBICON) do I need an additive for the fluid? What types of fluid to you recommend that have been tried and true? Thanks!
dsgodda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need an additive if you have a limited slip differential. Some gear oils include the additive so you have nothing additional to buy. I'm using Royal Purple Max-Gear in my Rubicon's D44s, which includes the additive, and I am very pleased with it.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Differential fluid Reply with quote

Does the TJ Unlimited have limited Slip? I'll check out the fluid you suggested. Can I pick it up at my local auto store?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Differential fluid Reply with quote

Mix1980 wrote:
Does the TJ Unlimited have limited Slip? I'll check out the fluid you suggested. Can I pick it up at my local auto store?

In 2004, the LSD was standard on the Unlimited. I don't know what was included in 2005.

Look at your window sticker (if you bought it new) or get a build sheet from your local dealer.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use the purple Max with the additive either way? Will the additive hurt if I don't have limited slip? What will happen if it's not added(not that I wouldn't add it) in limited slip D's. Thanks!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a Limited Slip tag on your diff cover if you have it. If you use the purple nurple, there aren't any worries about adding the additive. It is formulated with hypoid friction modifiers, basically it already has the stuff in it.
If you have an LSD and didn't add the modifier it would ruin it pretty quick. There would be lots of chatter and grinding until eventually the limited slip didn't function anymore.

Mix1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if I put the additive in a differential that is not LSD?
Mix1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone was interested, I called the dealership just to check and the 2005 Unlimited does have limited slip. So Royal Purple is good huh? Anything else you guys would recommend for limited slip?
dsgodda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting gear oil that contains an additive into an open differential does not hurt the differential.

I like Royal Purple. I've also used Mobile 1 gear oil (also includes the additive) with no problems. I switched from Mobile 1 to Royal Purple on the recommendation of several old timers in my Jeep club, Texas Jeep Corps (texasjeepcorps.org).

I get Royal Purple from O'Reilly's Auto. I believe NAPA and Pep Boys also carry it. Advance Auto stores in San Antonio don't stock it.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1980 wrote:
What happens if I put the additive in a differential that is not LSD?

Nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: