Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Suggestions ? Reply with quote

I have a dream in wich I intend to fufill oneday! I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee. In which I tend to take one a journey here in a few years!
I have a some what plan of hitting the road and off road for a month or two. Just to SEE America! and its backyard so to say!

My question to you all is your idea's on what I can do to this Jeep!

Its a 1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ base model, 4.0 Liter. This Jeep needs to be rebuild.
I really would like to turn this jeeps into a really durable trail toy, but still be able to take it on the road too!
I have plans to start with suspension, and end with the motor.

Thank you,
Glad to meet you all!

Jimi
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum ! Smile

how many km are on your xj ? and what have you done or inspected so far ?

i would start with some thing easy like the brakes , inspect them and see if they are good . then axle shafts and bearing , address leaks from the diff's and fill them up with some synthetic fluid (if that floats your boat) if you plan to put in some sort of limited slip then you might as well do it then .

how much of a lift do you want ? 3" ? 5" ?6"? i personally went with a junk yard lift . suburban springs in the rear and nylon spacers in the front gave me around 3-4" lift . you could look at a lift kit if you don't feel like making your own http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=405K&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

if you need an engine you could just rebuild it or make a stroker http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Stroker/Stroker.htm

change all the fluids and make sure everything works , no strange noises . if you have an automatic i would suggest a tranny cooler they are only about 50 $

the question is whats your budget and how crazy do you want to go , there is lots more fun stuff then what i have mentioned you can do to your xj , but its like midnight so im going to go to bed . some one else will get excited and give you more advice like crazy Smile
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Well, There's about 140,000 mile on it, in good shape. Automatic.

Brakes are in good shape, Just had a tune up.
Also have plans to redo the exhaust, muffler and cat in bad shape. Been thinkin about starting at the header and working back. Haven't pick out a header or muffler yet.
I am looking to put 6 to 8 inch lift on it. Looking at the TnT lifts! Are they any good? 33's or 35's?
Axels I believe I have Dana 30 and a 35, not sure if should replace these or rebuild? Lockers are a must.
Cooling system is another top item on the list. Besides fixin the AC.
The engine plans to be the last part I want to up grade, unless something happens at the presant, more or less it will be rebuilt.
I realize I have a long list of things to do. So I plan on doing this right. Taking my time and giving myself about 2 years or so, to work on this project, I still need to drive this too.

Sometime's, I wished money did grow on trees!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go with dana 44's

banks torque tube header . what ever muffler you want , flowmaster , banks , magnaflow . or some thing else .

no experience with tnt lifts but im sure some one on here does . from what i have seen they look like a great kit , especially because of the high ground clearance with long arms

do you want a selectable locker ? or just a locker ? or perhaps limited slip ?

so whats going on with your cooling system ?

edit:david wrote out some cooling suggestions in this thread http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11553 they seem good to me .
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiawatha wrote:
Thanks!

I am looking to put 6 to 8 inch lift on it. Looking at the TnT lifts! Are they any good? 33's or 35's?
Axels I believe I have Dana 30 and a 35, not sure if should replace these or rebuild? Lockers are a must.

I have the T&T long Arm. Great stuff and very well built. It also gives me better ground clearance. I did an install write-up here. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=63364#63364

35" tires on a Dana 35 and lockers will equal breakage.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c 130herc how much did you pay for the kit ? i like the look of it . makes me think about getting it .
c130herc

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There website shows

Y-Link Suspension Upgrade $899.95
T&T XD Bellypan
T&T Y-Linktm Radius Arms
Y-Linktm Install Hardware
Y-Linktm Unibody Bracing System

I paid a little less since he gave me a military discount.
I do not think the full kit is needed and I think the rear is just RE lift springs. I built my rear lift out of S10 springs and 1.5 boomerang shackles.
I highly recommend this kit. The term Stout is almost an understatement with this kit. It is strong and will support the whole XJ on the pan.
I recommend you change your fluid on your trans if it is an auto and put a new U-Joint in the front drive shaft on the Xfer case side because it will be tough too get to them once installed but it only takes about 30 min to re-drop the pan if needed.
I now flex all the way to the end of my shocks and it is so much smoother to drive. It just absorbs the bumps on the trail.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xjylinkupgrade.asp
PNWXJ

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What led you to believe your Xj needs a rebuild? My 91 XJ has over 300,000 miles on the origional motor and it runs great.

This truck has been from Seattle to NY and back 3 times now. AC blasting the whole way! Get a compression test before planning a rebuild.

I really love the Old man Emu lift. Both of my XJ's have the 3" meduim lift.

I would reccomend a new radiator, hoses ,water pump and thermostat for long distance road trips. The stock ones scale up and wear out after awhile. Good luck and go wheelin!!!
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just do a compelte fluids filter change ...and for the A/C...whats wrong with ur windows rolled down.... i see your from florida...where at about im in lakeland..... but yeah have fun with ur project...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you,
All of your repsonses are Fantastic! I am taking everything into consideration, and will do more research on everthing.
You all have pointed out some great ideas. I am working on a list of priorities.
As soon as I get it together, and I want to share for future objections.
Also the wish list will be there too.

Excuse me for not responding sooner I was on vacation for a few days.
Change of scenery doe's one good!
Reader

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNWXJ wrote:
What led you to believe your Xj needs a rebuild? My 91 XJ has over 300,000 miles on the origional motor and it runs great.

This truck has been from Seattle to NY and back 3 times now. AC blasting the whole way! Get a compression test before planning a rebuild.

I really love the Old man Emu lift. Both of my XJ's have the 3" meduim lift.

I would reccomend a new radiator, hoses ,water pump and thermostat for long distance road trips. The stock ones scale up and wear out after awhile. Good luck and go wheelin!!!

Do you tow anything with your XJs? I am going to be towing a 2500 pound boat and maybe a bit heavier.

I am told I might need to beef up the suspension. Of course I guess it does not mean I have to get a lift all around. Your thoughts?
pipxj

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-Joints get overlooked a lot. My front shaft crapped out at about 150k. It's a CV shaft so it's $$$ a buddy replaced the CV end with a U-joint, no more problems there.

Corosion is a bit problematic in the floorboards, especially above the exhaust. Check to make sure it's all good. Cut out any rust if it's there.

Change your fluids, and grease everything. Mine 4 banger has 217k on the odometer and runs great.
Hiawatha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The plan is to rebuild this XJ into a trail rig, there is alot to do.
Upgrading everthing I can, and want to get as much Horse Power and Torque.
But for now, I have to adress some of the important issues, starting with the exhaust, needs muffler and cat bad. Then I need to deal with the radiator next, not to sure on how much life is left in it.
Then I am hoping to start on the suspension, then work on axels and driveline.
The engine is the last thing I plan to rebuild, have plans for new cam and lifters, rings, and a few other upgrades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: