Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYE recommendations...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: SYE recommendations... Reply with quote

I've been reading around and some people with 6" lifts and under don't up grade to an after market sye, and are having no problems. I'm looking into picking up the RE 4.5" kit or the RE 5.5" kit, both recommend that you upgrade the sye. But I'm thinking to my self why spend another $100 if I don't have too, but I don't want to have to go back later and fix something because fo stupidity, I'd like to do it right the first time. So is it really necessary for the RE 4.5 or the RE 5.5? Again sorry if my questions sound really simple, and retarded..... Confused
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, what no one likes to answer simple questions? I just want to know at what hight is it recommended to upgrade my sye? I've seen recommendations of anything over 3", but I'd rather hear it from you guys. Also what can happen if I don't upgrade?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9274&highlight=sye

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9937&highlight=sye

Search for SYE and you will find an abundance of info in this forum.

I found I absolutley needed an SYE after installing a RE 4.5 inch lift even though I had installed a 1" TC drop kit.

My 92XJ went thump-thump-thump as I tried to back out of Phantum's garage right after installing the lift!

My rear drive shaft angle was SO Steep that it bound up until it CLUNKED and turned over and then BOUND up again. Can't be good! Something would have broken!

I couldn't even drive it home, I had to go home and order an unanticipated SYE, wait for it to arrive, install it, and then measure and order a drive shaft.

I missed driving my newly lifted heep to Wharrie,NC because I hadn't anticipated an SYE.

My personal opinion, is an XJ lifted to 4+ needs an SYE, or is close enough that an SYE is a logical decision.

If you are hedging because of cost of SYE/Drive shaft, then you probably can't really afford a lift.

It is only the begining of wallet attacks!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelmarvaXJ wrote:
bump, what no one likes to answer simple questions? I just want to know at what hight is it recommended to upgrade my sye? I've seen recommendations of anything over 3", but I'd rather hear it from you guys. Also what can happen if I don't upgrade?

You need to have a little more patience then less than 2 hours. We aren't sitting around waiting for someone to come along and post questions just so we can answer them.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule of thumb with XJ's is be prepared to do an SYE for lifts over 3". Does that mean you'll have to do one? No. But if you are looking at going to 4.5" or 5.5", it's a pretty good bet you will need to do one.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
The general rule of thumb with XJ's is be prepared to do an SYE for lifts over 3". Does that mean you'll have to do one? No. But if you are looking at going to 4.5" or 5.5", it's a pretty good bet you will need to do one.

yup every jeep is different, I was lucky, Im at 4.5 and no need for an SYE, berk was too and hes at 6in
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: SYE recommendations... Reply with quote

DelmarvaXJ wrote:
...But I'm thinking to my self why spend another $100 if I don't have too...

hate to burst your bubble...but the sye alone will cost at best almost double that estimate. and keep in mind that the sye kit is the cheaper portion of that modification - the accompanying (required) CV driveshaft will run you at best $275 and at worst $475. i have no real experience on whether or not you'd need the kit (only lifted my XJ's 2"), but from those i've talked to in my local club it seemed that 3.5" was usually the limit on getting away without dropping the transfer case and 4.5" was the limit where dropping the transfer case 1" no longer got rid of the vibrations.
hth - chris

p.s. keep in mind that the RE kits regularly yield true lift amounts about 1" higher than the stated heights (3.5 gets you closer to 4.25", 5.5 kit gets you 6.5")
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replys, I guess I won't know if I need one until I install my lift kit. I'm kind of confused on how some people did'nt need one and others did at the same height and same kit? Do the earlier XJ's have slightly different suspension geometry than the later model XJ's? That would explain why an earlier model would need a sye at 4.5" and another person did'nt need one at 6"? I'm just trying to figure out this stuff as I go along, thanks for your patience.
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that from a TJ standpoint, it often has to do with the axle/transmission combination. some axle's have a pinion (hence the yoke) that is positioned further forward in the jeep which translates into a shorter driveshaft. these combos will always have vibes at a lower height than the longer driveshaft combos. maybe that same problem applies to XJ's too...one of the XJ gurus will have to chime in here though for some experienced answers.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar considerations with XJ's. The thing to remember is that this is not an exact science. If it was, SYE's would be sold with drive shafts of a specified length based on vehicle. But since every Jeep is a little different, you need to measure and have a drive shaft made to the specific length necessary.

You can take two identical XJ's that came off the assembly line together and each one will react a little differently to the same lift. 97+ XJ's are also more prone to needing SYE's at lower lift heights than 96 and lower.

Also, the leaf springs with some lifts are set up to point the pinion towards the t-case, which can help alleviate drive shaft angles somewhat.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glowyrm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3.5" w/o a SYE on a NP242 and the full droop angle is close but OK. If I go anymore the SYE is in the cards. Price wise your looking at much more $ to replace the driveshaft w/ the double carington(i think thats spelled wrong) driveshaft. I would wait and get it all together. It can't hurt, but it will help.
31x10.5's
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've decided that when ever I order my lift kit I will be getting a sye kit with cv driveshaft, i will probably need one anyways. I'm looking into Tom Wood's 231 kit with custom shaft for $370, or looking else where like the RE kit. I'm looking for either the 4.5, 5.5 from RE or the 6.5 kit offered from Rough Country, what else might be required other than a custom CV driveshaft and sye kit? Might I be missing something vital, do i need a drop pitman arm?
berk9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 6" of lift on my 98. and no sye. it has 6 inch leafs. 1" trany drop 8.25. im fairly sure when the lift was put in it got shims to correct the drive angle problem but cant remember and to lazy to look Finger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: