Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical Problems in my 99 XJ Classic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
milhouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problems in my 99 XJ Classic Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first XJ, but it is my fourth jeep. However, this is the only Jeep that I have ever owned with power windows and door locks, so I am a bit behind the learning curve here, lol.

Anyway, my windows, door locks, and mirror buttons work fine on the driver side, but none of the other window buttons work. Occasionally the passenger-side lock-unlock button will work, but rarely. This really isnt much of a problem for me, but wy wife complains when I have to roll down her window for her.

Any help or advice as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I took so long to respond... I haven't checked the site in awhile.

Your problem is definitely the little push button on the driver's side door panel that turns the passenger window buttons on and off as a child safety measure.

This happened to me shortly after I got my 1998 XJ Classic. I wanted everything to function just right, so I spent the almost $200 to replace the whole switch unit (you can't replace just the one button... you have to replace the whole switch panel). It was a waste of $200, because after only 3 years, the child safety button is malfunctioning again. %$@#@#@!!

If I was you, I would figure out how to drill out the rivets, open that switch box up, and bypass the @!^&%!! child safety button. That way this won't inevitably happen again in a few years and it will save you $200.

I love my Cherokee, but hate it's electrical accessories system. Shorts in the interior lights, shorts in the audio speakers, shorts everywhere. They used much too light of wire with not nearly enough insulation for it to ever be reliable.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 99 has this problem.
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably possible to bypass the switch at the connector, without opening up the switch unit. On my '93 ZJ, for example, it is enough to short pins 1 and 5 in the connector. If somebody can post a wiring diagram for the '99 XJ, it should be possible to figure out which pins are involved there.

--
Best regards,
Kári.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: