Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear brakes on a TJ in the ice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ RickVA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Rear brakes on a TJ in the ice Reply with quote

I have a question on the proper operation of the rear breaks on my 2000 TJ. Last winter we had an ice storm. I was parking my TJ in a parking space that had the front part covered with ice. The two front wheels were on the ice and the rear wheels were on solid concrete. I applied the breaks and the front wheels locked up (on the ice) but the back wheels did not have the breaking power to stop the vehicle. I was worried about my breaks and tried stopping with the two front wheels on the ice several times ensuring that the back wheels did in fact have traction. I took my jeep to a mechanic and he told me that is the way these jeeps worked. He also said that this would not happen in 4wd mode. I did not believe him but sure enough the rear breaks do engage when in 4wd mode. I took my jeep to a second mechanic (state vehicle inspection this time) and he said that the rear breaks were functioning properly. Is there something wrong with my jeep? Is this really how jeeps perform in the ice? Is there anything that I can do about this? Please let me know. Thanks.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your parking brake work?

The rear drum brakes suck. They do not adjust appropriately on their own (as designed) and you must manually adjust them yourself.

BTW, I'm guessing no to the parking brake question. It's all the same brake system and if they are not adjusted properly, neither will work correctly.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, drums suck, the disc will usually grab quicker.
FuzzyDolly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe front brakes are designed to have more stopping power than the rear, seeing as most of the force is usually moving forward. This will cause the fronts to lock before the back. There are many things that go into the equation of brakeing. Not only surface conditions and brakeing power, but tire adhesion and tread pattern also. Were you parked on a hill and the rear brakes wouldn't hold you? If that's the case, then yes, you need your brakes adjusted. Lighter pressure on the brake pedal will help stop the locking as you are driving.
Tang419

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it worked in 4wd, is because the front brakes were providing the stopping power. It wasnt that the back brakes only worked in 4wd
________
SUZUKI H ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by Tang419 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
TJ RickVA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Does your parking brake work?

The rear drum brakes suck. They do not adjust appropriately on their own (as designed) and you must manually adjust them yourself.

BTW, I'm guessing no to the parking brake question. It's all the same brake system and if they are not adjusted properly, neither will work correctly.

You are correct, the parking break is a bit weak. But why do the rear breaks work perfect when in 4wd?
TJ RickVA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tang419 wrote:
The reason it worked in 4wd, is because the front brakes were providing the stopping power. It wasnt that the back brakes only worked in 4wd

No. Front tires were in the ice and had almost no stopping power.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ RickVA wrote:
You are correct, the parking break is a bit weak. But why do the rear breaks work perfect when in 4wd?

The front and rear axles are locked together when in 4WD. If the front locked up, the rears will too because the drivetrain isn't spinning.
TJ RickVA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
TJ RickVA wrote:

The front and rear axles are locked together when in 4WD. If the front locked up, the rears will too because the drivetrain isn't spinning.

Now that makes sense. Thanks. Very Happy
Tang419

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I was saying. Just he said it better...lol
________
Expert insurance

Last edited by Tang419 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
TJ RickVA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tang419 wrote:
Thats exactly what I was saying. Just he said it better...lol

I see it now. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: