Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking about a zj

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: thinking about a zj Reply with quote

ya ya i already have an xj or two , but a guy i work with has a 94 grand with a 318 and a blown tranny 46RH ? its the auto , so is that the tranny it should have ?

anyway i don't believe these transmissions are that great . yes i can a used one for next to nothing (300$can) but what else can i shove in there ? what would you guys recommend ?

also , what problems do you have with zj's comparable to an xj , like how the xj's crack at the fire wall . i don't care about mechanical just how do the body's hold up ? im assuming its a uni-body just like the xj , are there body stiffeners out there like there are for xj's ? i suppose i could make my own but for 150$ its easier to just buy em .

whats a good kit for doing long arm ? and a good 4 link in the back ? say 4 inch lift .

do you think i should do it or stick with the xj , theres nothing wrong with it except i have to rebuild the engine , so i figured id go with the 318 since i have half the engine parts for a 318 if i need to do it as well and they are personally a good engine .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about time you got a ZJ Razz id say go for it i love my 318! id have to say for LA there is only 2 choices RE or claytons.. of course KOR has a long arm kit but it uses mostly RE and JKS. thats just my 2 cents...
redzjon31's

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 318 is nice lots of power!!! If you decide to go witht he ZJ you wont be disappointed, no leaf springs but everything for the ZJ is alot more expensive as well!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you can never have too many JEEPS!!! The 46RH is the original tranny, I would put another one back in it, they're strong trannies. The only problem you'll have with the ZJ is avoiding tickets. Cool A 4" short arm lift would be sufficient to start with, ZJ's flex like no tomorrow! You could go with the front to rear swap with some spacers and get 4.5" easily. How much is the ZJ?
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 46RE tranny is the stock tranny for the 5.9's

the 45RE tranny is the one for the 5.2's
FARMER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my 42RE rebuilt with heavy duty parts ( larger clutches, 5 gear planetary gears, and a shift kit ) it only cost a grand to have it done. The rebuilder is telling me it should be good for around 550 horse but there is no way the I6 4.0 will ever come close to that, even after I get a 4.6 stroker into it. If you upgrade the stock trans it will do just fine for you without all the hassels of making something fit that wasn't meant to.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

93-95 V8's have 46RH
96-98 V8's have 44RE
5.9's have 46RE

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he asked me to make him an offer , he was told worse case scenario on his tranny is 2500$ or thats what the shop told him .

its a Laredo loaded except for leather , everything is in good shape just needs a tranny .

i won't be able to keep my xj ther are already 6 vehicles in my driveway , 7 is kind of pushing it and i want to buy another motorcycle so i have 2 . Smile

what would you pay for one ? that is 94 grand with a 318 and no transmission . engine is in good shape well maintained (hes a heavy duty mechanic and i work with him so i know what hes like)
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no more than $1500. How many miles are on it? What color interior and exterior? Any recent work done on it? I would be willing to pay more if it were orange.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i was thinking 1000-1500 , it needs a upper ball joint but thats nothing .

i know its not orange Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: