Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging problems, now she wont run.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Charging problems, now she wont run. Reply with quote

This is on my moms 92 YJ and it all started about 1 month or so ago when the voltage gauge and check engine light started coming on, but it still ran fine now its progressed to this morning she came into my room and said it wouldn't start so I told her to take my XJ to work. At lunch I took the YJ out and it was slow to crank like the battery was weak but it drove fine to lunch however on the way back on the highway the check engine light was on and the voltage gauge was buried in the red at 8. Then it started sputtering while going down the highway also the seatbelt light came on although my seatbelt was buckled in. When I got off the highway and shifted into neutral to go it almost cut off so I put it in 3rd and had it punched but I could feel I was losing power and so I went into 2nd and then to 1st while still losing power and speed then it finally shut off. So my buddy came and jumped me off with minimal effort but after driving down the road for about 2 minutes it started cutting out and backfiring and it went back to me having it floored but getting now power and no RPMs above 1-1500 and then it slowly cut off. So we repeated this until we got back to his house, and when I turned on the turn signal to go down his street the light on the dash didn't blink and didn't make the clicking noise like normal.

I ran the codes and I got a 41 which is alternator field but when it first started giving my mom trouble I took off the alternator and had it tested but it came back ok, so then I tested it on the car and it still came back good. I also replaced the battery.

So what it is doing is running fine for a minute or two then the seatbelt light comes on, it starts sputtering and backfiring and begins to lose power until it finally shuts off.

Also I should say that the whole month or so that its been acting weird sometimes you crank it and the check engine light is on and sometimes its off, if off then it runs like a top, but if the light is on then the battery voltage is low although still above the red at 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: