Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axle seal leak question and Brake question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mix1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Axle seal leak question and Brake question Reply with quote

O.k. my wife and I bought a 2005 Unlimited in August 2006. It is my daily driver for most of the week.

-My first question is this. I noticed one day when looking under the jeep that the front passenger side seemed to look a little wet around where the axle seal is. I do have a leaky tie rod zerk fitting but that's not it. I called my local 4X4 shop here in town whom I've dealt with somewhat regularly for the last year. He told me that if it was a "slow weep" to not worry about it until really started come out of the axle. I checked my Diff fluid level. Our drive way is on a very slight incline(to let the water drain off of course) and when I pulled the fill plug off I found that the fluid level was right at the fill whole and after I stuck the tip of my finger over the edge to make sure it was full it started to come out the fill whole much like it would if had just filled it up. AnY thoughts and opinions would be awesome! Should I pursue fixing this or letting go for now? The drivers side is fine, no leak or wetness. I wiped the passengers side off about a week ago and only see minimal accumulation.

-Second question. When I am going through a parking lot or my neighborhood at speeds below 20mph I get a clicking sound when I hit the brakes. It doesn' t do it at highway speeds and it doesn't do it when I first crank it up in the morning. Only after I've driven around for a while. I'll pull in a parking lot and put on the brakes to stop and theres a one time click that will happen.(not over and over) just a click. I know the brakes are good and it doesn't seem to effect braking in any way. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
blktrax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy question first: The clicking sound you hear is the brake pads shifting in the caliper brackets, not really a sign of anyhting wrong, but wouldn't hurt to check them. When brakes are applied the pads shift up with the rotation of the rotor, and with vibration settle back down during driving. The next time tou apply the pads come up and *click* against the top of the caliper bracket. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CALAPER BOLTS, get a haynes manual and a tourque wrench or have someone do it, been there done that, bouth new calapers and brackets. Learn before doing, rather than learn from doing, its much cheaper that way.

Also being an 05 depending on mileage it should still be under warranty. Factory warranty is transferable. should have a 3yr/36k or 7yr/70k mile warranty on the power/drivetrain

As far as axle seals go the accual seal is in by the diff in the axle tube, not out on the end, the end is only a splash, dirt guard, unless someone put greasable aftermarket outer axle seals.

So It should go starting from the Diff: Diff - inner axle Seal - Axle tube/inner axle - Outer splash ring (or aftermarket seal) - U joint - Outer axle - Wheel seal - Wheel Hub/Bearing

So either you have a inner axle seal weeping, or a wheel seal that is bad and is discharging. The problem with either allowing grease out, can potentionaly let water and other contaminatnes into the bearing surfaces.

Hope this helps in your endevors.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! That helps for sure. If I just have a slow weep for now, can I let it go for a while until and see if it's getting worse. I've checked the diff fluid level and it seems to be o.k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: