Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys) Reply with quote

Sweet.. Other Jeep drivers.. I found this site via some random images on a search engine... Anyway I am pretty new to offroading.. Decided to buy a 1997 GC because it was dirt cheap (owners were leaving the country and had to sell fast.. $1000 in good condition) and because they used it just to get up and down their "driveway" which looked like the rubicon and it never had any problems (all stock)... It has a straight 6 4.0 with 175K or so on it BTW.
Now that I have scoured magizine articals and watched literally every jeep vid on youtube (I got addicted.. LOL) and become thoroughly covinced jeep is the toughest vehicle ever constructed... The crap I put mine though in the Daniel Boone national forest around here (offroad driving is allowed in this area) would have killed 10 lesser vehicles.. I have been in mud up to the mirrors (mistake sort of... CLASSIC moment.. I say to my buddy in the pesseger seat "I probably should not be going in here but I seem to be any... *SPLOSH* we are suddenly in thick goopy mud up to the windows) and GOT OUT with some rocking, careful manufering and the loss of a few parts (front bumber and other bits I must not need cause I never put them back and it still works. Keep in mind this jeep is STOCK with normal road tires...

Anyway... Now for the questions:
First and foremost: My radiator is leaking badly... I JB welded it the last time it did that and it worked great but this time I can't get at where it is leaking.. I have the whole thing apart so the radiator can be pulled out but I have never really done work on a car and want to make sure I can get the hoses reattached before I detach them.. They have this odd little clamp that I am not sure how it works.. If I can't get it back on will hose clamps work OK?
Also: I am not sure EXACLTY where the leak is.. How do I find the leak with the radiator OUT (or in if there is an easy way before I remove it)
Finally (in the radiator dept.) What causes this? Do I just need to spring for a new radiator or can I redneck it somehow to prevent this from occuring again?

Now to the fun stuff:
If anyone would care to comment on my proposed mods and offer some suggestions I would love it... I drive a Mustang on road so my Jeep just needs to be able to get to and from the trails... No other on road use to speak of (except occasionally when I crash the Mustang which occures fairly regularily but thats another story)... So my proposed mods (in order.. Won't being doing them all at once cause they are costly):

6.5in lift and the required other stuff (t-case drop and/or SYE etc)+spring adjusters for a bit of extra height (to allow 33s with no trimming)

33in tires.. Not sure which.. Suggestions? I will be doing widly varied terrain mostly rock and mud but some gravel/dirt/sand and even some snow... Basically I need a good all around tire.. Don't care about onroad performance at all. +wheel spacers to mitigate rollover risk.

ARB air lockers (front and rear)

Winch... 8000+ I think not sure which model (again suggestion appriciated)

Snorkle kit

additional skid plates... Whever they can be put for all the protection I can get Smile

Supercharger.. Never noticed a serioud lakc of power... Which is why its last on the list.

Lemme know what you think!

p.s One FINAL question (I promise): I live in Berea KY (near lexington).... Anyone know of or know how to find a good 4x4 shop near here to help me with some of the work?

p.p.s (not really a "question") I like the price of
this lift kit but I know nothing about the manufacturer or anything... Anyone know anything?

THANKS!
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some of the radiator replacement write-up on here... Now I know a lot more but I am confused about one thing: My radiator has other crap coming to it besides the two hoses and the overflow hose... Two other metal tubes it looks like.. Its an auto so are these to cool the transmission? If so how do I remove them without messing anything up? Can I just take them off?

And of course still wondering how to fix my radiator and find the leak....

Thanks..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check EBay for a good deal on all metal radiator.

Thats where I got mine.. (About $140 shipped)

To start off.. I would just get a 3.5" lift and some 32's ..(or trim a little and put the 33's.)
My opinion .6.5 is to much lift for a new wheeler.. You need to get used to the way the Jeep leans in corners and such before you go quite that big..(Just My opinion)

For tires . Depends on what you are going to do.. Road and rocks go with BFG TAko's they are good tires for the price..

Mostly offroad go with something a little more aggressive.. I like Remington Mud Brutes and several of my friends have swapped to them to after riding with me .. Mr. Green

ARB's are good lockers but you have to include a compressor in your budget and get some line repair kits and keep them in your tool kit.(You will need them.)

As for winches .. I am a huge fan of SUPERWINCH they have been around as long as warn. Are very good winches and if you check all the specs they perform as well if not better across the board and for several hundred dollars cheaper.. (I got the Superwinch EP9 (9000lb winch ) for $550 shipped and it has lasted me almost 4 years.. Before that I had 2 Warn XD9000i and I totally destroyed them both.. One after about 5 months .. The second lasted a wopping 33days.. I know it was 33 days because I actually got my money back on that one. The dealer had a 30 day warranty and he let me slide on the 3 days.. (Did I mention that the Warn XD9000 cost me $1200 each) They are currently on sale for about $800 I believe.. shock shock

KevinsJeepparts.com is a great place to look for winch bumper , lifts , and any rocker protection and skid plates you could need..

Keep us posted with your progress and post up some pics..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips... I hate to upgrade anything and then have to upgrade AGAIN later and I wanted to do everything possible to increase the approach and departure angle of my zj but maybe if I got a 3.5-4.5 lift and put on 33s (with some trimming) I would be happy for awhile... I imagine I would like the price a lot better as well...

As for the radiator I think I have now read enough to feel confident getting the damm thing off... I shall look at it and see what (if anything) can be done... If nothing I will check ebay and radiator barn..

Also: Here are some pics... Sorry I could not find better ones (these were taken with a cellphone) but I uploaded all of them to my webpage and could not remember the file names among hundreds of files... LOL

This was taken JUST after I managed to pull out of the huge mud hole I mentioned.

This is where the bumper went... (I of course retieved it and strappedit back on)

This is a higher quality pic of the whole thing from some time later...

I have a couple of videos will try to find and post later... In the meantime anyone have suggestions for a good 3.5-4.5in lift kit?
Preferably something highly abusable with no welding required that is easy for a noob to install without anything besides a couple of jacks and jack stands...
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking around at lift kits and came accross this... Basically 4.5in lift for under $500 but the catch is they only give you two springs... You take you front springs and use them in the rear and put the two new ones in the front... Sounds very clever but I am not sure how well it would hold up (also its really only a 3.5in kit with a 1in spacer but thats ok)... Does anyone have any thoughts or expirience with this product or company?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification.. To lift more than 3.5" you really should have long arms however I know of several people who run 4.5 or so with short arms..

(I personally have 5.5 on short arms .. But my arms are custom and adjustable..)

Also anything over 3.5 should absolutely have adjustable arms.. (I would recommend them even on 3.5 just to have control of your pinion angles)

as far as that kit goes... I would say no because it doesnt come with adjustable arms.. With 4.5" of lift your rear tires will be almost touching the front of the wheel arch and the front will be almost on the rear of the front wheel arch.. You need that adjustment to center the tires back out..

Check this out.. Its a little more expensive..(OK alot more)

Its a rubicon express Super ride kit.. Its what I started off with(I got mine from Kevin) Note that it has adjustable arms..

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1636

RE is a very good company.. Also check out Rock krawler and Tuff Country .There are lots of good companys but like in all things the ones that are cheaper are cheaper for a reason...

You wont believe how many links I have had to weld up or make custom stuff for people who buy cheap lifts and tear them in half or bend them ...

Like I said.. I am only stating my opinion so it is not the gospel but I have been around for a few weeks now and I read a book once ...

And I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... rofl rofl rofl rofl

Last edited by swamp boy on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.. What is that in the back seat..

Looks like a Dragonov stock. Is that a Mini 14?? Or AK or ??????

Look at General discussion for pics of some of our guns.. Mr. Green

1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 3.5 inch tuff country lift, my only complaint is the control arms, If i had adjustable lowers I could definitely have my rear end further back like swampy was saying

but the springs are ooh so flexxxy

I too would recommend the small lift first, the good thing about RE stuff is you can build on it later
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback... I will look into the RE stuff... I would REALLY like to be over a foot on my ground clearance and really hope to run 33s... Is there anything wrong with using a coil spacer on the 3.5 kit you linked to get 4.5 or would I need "long arms"? (not sure what this is... I am still kind of a n00b... I probably read it and forgot because I have read a lot of offroading stuff in a short time so not all of it sticks)

I noticed the Grand Cherokee (stock) has a low approach and departure angle as well as a low ramp over angle on this chart compared with many other vehicles... Does anyone have any idea what these numbers would be with 3.5 or 4.5 of lift and 33in tires (I am guessing they will be MUCH improved)? I am curious cause there are some really steep inclines where I offroad I have been dying to climb but the angle increases dramatically partway up and since it is a loose surface I have to rely on momentum (or lockers.. But momentum is cheaper.. At least until I break something) but I don't wanna try it because I am worried I will hit pretty hard where the angle changes with my current approach angle.. It it like probably a 40 degree change in angle (from the first incline I am on the the second I wish to be on)... Then the angle changes back to a lesser incline after about 6ft of 70 degree+ so ramp over angle is also important... It may seem odd to be so concerned with one obsticle but I can see tracks where OTHER people have made it and its driving me nuts... Also there seem to be some awesome trails up there (I walked/climbed up and hiked around a bit).

Also: The gun is an SKS... I go target shooting at a perticular spot in the Daniel Boone forest (there is a nice field in the middle of nowhere with a soft muddy/shale slope/cliff which makes a great bullet trap as well as being accessable to put some paper targets up... Even when I am not going to include shooting in my agende I try to have it with me as there are known to be some shaddy characters in the Daniel Boone (drug dealers grow pot or operate meth labs in some of the more remote locations where I seem to find myself alot Very Happy
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... My radiator situation:
I removed the radiator (the other tubes WERE transmission coolers... I just disconnected them... Hope I was not supposed to do anything special) and it has tons of slow leaks from corroded cooling tubes... Basically its falling apart (I would be to if I had run 175 thousand miles over rough, mostly, rough terrain)... So looks like I will have to spring for a new one... So my question is:

Between the two options from radiator barn do you guys think the heavy duty is worth the extra $S?

I <3 their prices btw... Awesome.

EDIT: Anything wrong with using two super swamper boggers in the back of the Jeep and two super swamper TSLs in the front (provided they are the same size obviously)? This, I hope, will give me the best of both worlds: The mud performance of the Bogger and the resistance to sideways sliding of the TSL.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the biggest radiator you can get..

And It doesnt matter what tires you put on .. As long as they are the exact same size..

You will have trouble engaging and disengaging the 4WD if your tires are not the same size..

There was someone not long ago who couldnt get their jeep out of 4wd and it turned out they had bought two new tires and that was enough of a difference to bind the transfer case...(Good thing I am a genius and was able to figure it out..)

Interco tires are known to have very odd sizes so you will need a real measurement on the rim of each tire.. NOt just the same size numbers on the tires..

I still stand behind my Remington MuddBrutes and they are much cheaper than Swampers.. Mr. Green

Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*can't find Remington mud brutes in the Remington online catalog (though they are mentioned on the homepage) or on ebay...

WTF AMD I DOING WRONG?!

lol
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first place I found.. If you look harder you may find a better price.. But $148 each for 33x12.5x15 is pretty good..

http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/searchType/searchByBrand/manufacturerID/20/productID/270/tiresize/33x12.50-15#prodAnchor

Note that they are 32.8" tall and 13" wide.. thats pretty damn big.. About the same as 34X12.5 swampers.. Mr. Green

Infact I run 35" mudbrutes and I have a Swamper Q78 spare.. The Q78 is considered to be a 36 or 37(I forget) but it is the same size as my 35" swamper..

Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty nice... 32.8 is not bad... Also the price is good... How would I decide what sort of wheel I would need?
silvergoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out TNT Customs.com for the lift on your grand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: