Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah one other question on a slightly more immediate note:
For this coming weeks upgrade (trying to do one a week of cheap stuff.. Skid plates, t-case drop etc) I am thinking of a hi-lift jack but the zj has plastic bumpers...What gives?
The front should be OK (the bumper got ripped off and his held on with bungie cords so the metal part underneath is easily accessable) but the rear still has the plasic POS on it... I would rip both the front and the back off enitrely (I don't like plastic shit on my jeep anyway) but I think I might get in trouble with the law... So should I make the back match the front ("fix" it so the plastic is easily removable)?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearing depends on your tires and your engine.. It is very hard to do gears and you will need several specialty tools...

Randys ring and pinion will sell you everything you need to do it yourself if you are so inclined..Gears tools shim kits... All kind of stuff..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... I might have that part done since it seems like it might be exspensive to aquire the right tools for something I will not do very often... Any idea how I might track down a reputable 4x4 shop in my area?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you??

I use google for almost everything...

Google : 4WD Shop ----your city name here---

Then call them and ask them if they can regear your axles .. If they act like they dont know what they are talking about ..... Move on... rofl

Or you could ask someone else that lives near by. There are Jeep clubs in damn near every city in the US.. Check into it..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a friend thats a mechanic Smile
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately search engines turned out nothing useful... I called local mechanics and they all recomend the same place: "Brocks 4x4" in Richmond, Ky. However none of them knew the phone number or exact location and it was not listed online or in the phone book (WTF?).. Anyway I will try asking someone around here (I am located in Berea, KY btw.. Close to Richmond and Lexington)
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the Kentucky Krawlers website and found this.

http://www.migoffroad.com/ He may be able to help you..He is in Lexington...

[/url]

Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I feel like an idiot... I have the KY krawler page in my favorites but havn't read it yet. DEEEERrr...

On a less idiotic note Rusty's Offroad has this for XJ but a call to them reveals they has nothing similar for ZJs and that this one cannot be modified in any way to work on a ZJ. Does anyone know if there is a crossmember I can buy for a ZJ that lowers my T-case but does not decrease clearance AND will make it more rugged?

Thanks....
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything that will drop the case will hurt your ground clearance, the stock cross member is ok for some pretty decent abuse. Just start with the 1 inch t case drop and see how things go, if you slam your cross member on everything then rethink your driving style, still slam it then look for another cross member, or make one
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I think this one did away with the squared "beam" type shape and replaced it with a very thick single sheet of metal... Thus it increased ground clearance by making the crossmember thinner but decreased it by making the t-case hang lower... At least that is the way it seemed to work.

Well... Heres the question: If I have an SYE do I even need to bother with the t-case drop? Assume that at some point in the future I will be installing a big long arm kit... Seeing as right now I do not need either and SYE OR a t-case drop since its stock. I mean obviously if I could get away with it I would not drop the t-Case at all and just buy a SYE instead... Or possibly make my next upgrade a 60" hi-lift jack (although it will be a long while before I need 60" of jacking ability I do like the idea of using it as a poor man's winch until I get a real one)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you wont need a tcase drop with and SYE, yes the highlift jack is going to be a good idea,

what exactly are you plans anyway? Have you decided to start small and work you way up or what are you going to do?

perhaps if you posted a budget of what you had to work with money wise people could help you out a great deal more.
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now heres the plan with my anticipated time frames and prices... Would love some feedback though!

Hi-lift jack- next week, $150:
Cheap... I can buy it soon and now that I know I don't need a t-case drop if I have an SYE I don't have to worry about that.

T-Case crossmember upgrade- a couple weeks from now, $150:
I will need this since my stock one is already beat up and it will be awhile before I get actual LIFT since I am trying to start with a good foundation... Thus I might be relying on momentum for awhile Smile

SYE- a month or two from now, $300:
I will need this when I want that long-arm kit and its FAIRLY cheap.

ARB air compressor- less than 3 months, $250:
Going to get the compressor needed to use lockers even though I don't have the lockers yet... In the meantime I can use it for filling up tires.

Dana 60 axles- about 6 months, $1200 each(?):
I am still about confused about this one but I am starting to get a clearer idea of what I will need, where to get it and how much it will cost

Rear ARB air locker- 7 months, $600(?):
I have needed a locking differential SOOO many times already...

6.5-9in long arm kit- 9 months, Um... $2000??:
Massive lift... Lots of welding will no doubt be required but I got a friend who has the requisit equipment and skill

Tires- Hopefully not more than 10 months, $1600 or so if I shop around:
Why such a big lift? For massive tires of course... I am looking at anything from 36-40in tires.. Not decided on anything as yet.

Winch- 11 months, $600
Looking at the superwinch right now... Could change though.

Front ARB air locker- one year, $600:
Since I already have the rear...

Other stuff 1-1.5 years:
Skid plates over everything, snorkle, some tow recovery points (I will probably redneck some homebewed ones in place before this) and eventually: a full roll cage (those things LOOK sweet and I can see myself rolling it... Wanna do it right though since I hear a lot of people do it in such a way that they don't get a whole lot of protection), supercharger, etc.

Oh yeah: Looks like a $10-12K budget over 1.5 years... A lot more then I paid for the jeep but still worth it IMO...
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl More than you paid for it. Thats the name of the game.. rofl rofl

I dropped about $7000 into my engine rofl a few years back and the blue book value at the time was about $5000 or so... rofl

I dont know how much I spent on lifts and tires and such over the years but I bet total adds up to well over 5 times the value of the Jeep...

But what the hell . All hobbies are expensive .. If I didnt spend the money on my Jeep I would have to smoke crack or something so I could get rid of the money elsewhere...

Maybe I could sell my Jeep and open my own Opium den... rofl rofl rofl

Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA... Yeah... I used to go to a group for aspiring inventors that provided a sort of forum to discuss ideas under the (reletive) safety of an NDA with a sympathetic crowd and they were always advising people to invent things people WANT and not thing they need because things they need sell for a dime a dozen with million competitors and the average guy only cares if it CHEAP... But things people WANT for their hobbies, their passion or even their pets can sell for practically anything and people will shell out without a second thought...

On a slightly more Jeep related note: After I made up that list I started to wonder if maybe a lift kit and tires should not come BEFORE that ARB locker... Which option do you guys think I would get the most for my money out of:
Unlifted with stock tires but lockers or...
Lifted with big tires but open difs?
(Keep in mind the ARB locker is CHEAPER by a large amount so I would be able to get it sooner)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would not drop all the money in those things you mentioned, at least not in that order

9 inches of lift is insanely too much for a grand, nor is it logical. That would increase the roll over rate to an insane amount, especially someone that does not have that much experience in off roading

skid plates should come first, you can wheel a stock grand and go places, skid plates will allow you to go farther

lock right the front for now 275 bucks and you have a locker and can go even further

wheels and tires, Start with 33s on 15 inch wheels, this can be cleared with 5 inches of lift and trimmed fenders, then later when you go to 35s you already have the wheels

dont put money in the dana 35, swap in an chryco 8.25 or a ford 8.8 both options will be well under 1200 with a locker and gears, and both can handle 35s

so here is my suggestion

RE lift-$1500
SYE if needed=$300
lockrite d30-$275
wheels and tires-$850 thats what i paid for my 33x12.50 swampers with wheels brand new
8.8 or 8.25-$600-$800 thats including gearing the front to match the rear and a full blown locker
that puts you about $3800 and your ready to go with a full blown 4x4

now keep in mind you said you have a friend to help with your installs so i didn't add in any cost of labor

thats just my rough estimates prices could vary but that saves you a boat load of money and you have a platform to build upon

also remember that dana 60s would hinder your ground clearance at the diff as they are huge

Again thats my opinion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: