Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy, how do the remington's do with on road driving and highway?

i know urs isnt ur DD, but im shure it's gotta hit the pavement every now and then.
they are a good MT and good price but i need a a tire that wont explode when it hits 100 mph for about 15sec.
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit now I am undecided again!

I like the idea of lock-rite lockers... This is not a DD so I do not need great onroad performance.... Other than that cheaper is better as long as it holds up.

I looked around and did not really see any 6.5in complete kits and I am not sure about buying the parts induvidually... Now I am sort of thinking of going with this 5.5 in bolt on lift, adding some spacers and running 36in tires... What sort of axles would I have to get? How much would I have to spend?
Also anyone have any ideas for some good 36 tires (the wider the better... I want lower ground pressure)?
Thanks...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36's will require a dana 60 or ford 9" , you can put in a dana 44 or 8.8. or maybe a 12 bolt there is just more of a chance of getting stranded .

it also depends on how you wheel .

I for one try to over build or not do anything stupid . whys that , because i have been stranded several times and i hated it. yes there were people there but they didn't really have a bunch of jeep parts on them .

if you want 40's your going to want a trussed dana 70 , ( hint 2005 and up dodge one tonne axles are gusseted and trussed )

not saying your jeep wont break in half with 40's .

you wan't 40's go build a buggy or something , let the jeep pull it on a trailer .

1fox2go had some good suggestions *hint *hint* Smile
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I would rather overbuild... I want something reliable.. Which is why I wanna start with the foundation type stuff that might not necissarily improve perfomance in the short term but will increase durability...

Even so: I need dana 60s for 36es? How about 35s? (Keep in mind I am using a 4.0 so I don't have a TON of axle breaking power there... I like the straight 6 so no plans for a v8 unless it dies.. Supercharger eventually though)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampy runs 35s on his 8.8....
for the front a waggy 44 should support 35s no problem

as for wide tire swamper makes a 35x15.50 tsl

if you have good throttle control then you could run 35s on a d44 rear, or the chryco 8.25, I would upgrade to chromoly shafts and keep the stocks as spares

and lock rites are good lockers, I'm running one in the rear of my xj, as is berk9
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any experience with rustys suspensions, nor have I heard any feed back

you could piece together your lift start with the RE 4.5 short arm kit, then later get the upgrade to long arms from them, ad a spacer and be sitting around 6 inches

I do hear a lot of people getting claytons long arm kit, I think its 7 inches, which is enough to clear 33s no trimming and you may need minor trimming to help stuff 35s, although it is pricey

but by getting the 4.5 now, you can saw, stuff 33s and be wheeling by next month
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to Daily drive my Jeep and a buddy of mine has a durango with 33's and he currently runs Mudd Brutes on his daily driver.. I got 27,000 miles out of my last set..

I just called him he is at 15,000 ish right now and says he has more than half the tread..

That is all to say... I have had good luck with them.. they are good offroad.. They ride a little rough but last a long time.. Make sure you get the inflation correct for your particular vehicle .. And you will be fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, THX swampy.
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This FAQ says I don't need a SYE for a ZJ with a 5.5in lift (though I might need to "lengthen" a driveshaft... But lengthen I am going to assume they mean "replace")... Is this true or are they just plain wrong or should I try it and see if I have any vibration?

Also I got 2 other questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what sort of axles are ON my ZJ now (97 with a 4.0)?

2. What are the biggest tires I can run with all stock drivetrain (assume I don't wanna be breaking stuff all the time) I don't mind upgrading the axle shafts as long as it won't cost me 3 grand..

Thanks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have a Dana 30 front and a dana 35 rear.. You can run 33's on 5.5" without any major problems..

As far as the driveshaft goes... You wont need a new one .. If you put on the 5.5" lift and you have adjustable arms.. You will have to do some adjusting to keep the tires centered in the wheel well and the driveshaft connected.. If your shaft reaches with at least one inch of slip left you will be fine.. Cause the way the grand is set up your shaft will compress when you flex so you wont have to worry about it spitting a shaft like other Jeeps sometimes do..

I have stock shafts front and rear and I am running 6.5" of lift...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. You got me convinced... LOL..

I will go with the 5.5 kit from Rusty's and keep the drivetrain stock.. I guess I need to pick up 5 of those mud brutes you talked about and some wheels and then all I need is lockers and some bumbers on which I can use a hi-lift jack in case I have a flat... Any ideas for some good ZJ bumbers (I need one I can mount a winch to when I get one)?

Also any reason for keeping the tires centered in the wheel wells? I was plannign on adjusting the arms so the front tires sit a little forward and the back ones sit a little back to increase my approach and departure angles (I will trim the fenders.. Sawzall ftw).

And one final question... This is gonna seems dumb cause they are all over the place but what wheels will give me good performance for dirt cheap?
I don't need shiny... In fact I don't WANT it as it would look out of place ith the rest of the jeep.
FARMER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen or used these bumpers or flairs, but like the way they look on the site. http://www.icelandoffroad.com/
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them on videos ... But I dont think they would last long on my Jeep..

Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know fiberglass will give me better fuel economy and all that but I need something steel... Knowing me that $600+ bumber would not last one trip... I am known for hitting stuff usually at fairly decent speed.
redzjon31's

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out arb, kennesaw montain accesories, hanson, trail ready there are a bunch of bumpers out there or find someone to custom build one for you!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: