Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gona get the TRAIL READY front front bumper that has the full grill and head light protection, as for the rear, i liked the TRAIL READY as well but i have recently looked at Kevins off road and his rear bumper/ tire carrier is my new favorite. a rear bumper that can hold a 35" tire, and then they can lift the back of the truck up from the tire... it cant b a POS if it can do that.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont lock the d35 if your going to run 33s

and get black or white steel wheels i paid 45 each for my white wheels
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I'll probably do that on the wheels.

Why not lock the d-35 though?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuff said.. rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures are worth a thousand words
silvergoat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 35's on a super 35 with an ARB with no problems. It depends on your driving style. Or maybe I've been lucky but Ive been doing it for years.[img]
[/img]
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky.... rofl

I know a guy who had a YJ that ran a welded 35 for about 2 years and he drove the crap out of it.. >.. Some people just get lucky..

I also think the leaf springs have alot to do with it as they allow more movement in the axle.. Where as the control arms associated with coil springs hold the axle more solidly so you get more direct torque which results in snapped axles..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... So if I want to run 33s and lock the rear and eventually the front what is my best (inexspenisve) way to make it work?

Could I just replace the shafts with comoly or something? Or is there a dana 44 I could swap in fairly easily?

I am hoping to but a locker by the 15th of august (I have a friend visiting from out of town and we are gonna do some offroading) but I don't wanna do that if I need to replace the axle when I get 33s.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest most inexpensive way to upgrade is to go to a boneyard and get an axle out of a Ford explorer If you get a new enough model you can upgrade to disk brakes and they come in the same gear ranges as Jeep so you can get one with the same gear ratio ..

And if you look around you can find one marked 3L73 on the tag.. thats most likely the same gear ratio as your grand and the L stands for Limited slip.. which means you have a factory locker that works pretty good..

You can get brackets from Mountain Offroad select catalog, axle mounting hardware and then its part number 98700..http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

I have been known to put an 8.8 in a Jeep in about 4 hours total time including welding brackets on and mounting the axle..

Its about $200 for an axle (depending on your bone yard) and $300 for the coil bracket kit.. Thats cheaper than the $800 you spend on a super 35 kit and it will be much better..

In stock for an 8.8 will hold up to 35's with alloy shafts you can put some 36's maybe even 37's on her...

The best part is ... When you decide to move up to a bigger back axle (like a 60 or whatever) you can take that 8.8 and sell it to someone with a Jeep who wants to upgrade his 35 and I have seen them go for anywhere between $500 and $800 depending on gearing and locker type..

If you decide to go the 8.8 option make sure you get the flange yolk adapter ... Its the last thing on the order page..

Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are offered in this auction for %625 with disk breaks already installed and limited slip... To much?

Also: How do I know what ratio my current axle is?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawl under your rig and look for a small metal tag on your diff..
It will have a string of numbers on it.. in those numbers will be either 3 55 or 3 73 that is your gear ratio..

If you go to a bone yard you can get that axle for under $300 (I only paid $150 for mine ) You have a few things on your side.. There are tons of busted ass explorers and the boneyard doesnt think the explorer axles are worth a crap.. The same boneyard I bought my 8.8 from sels Dana 35's for $500 because they think Jeep axles are awesome.. rofl rofl

If you happen to live in Spokane and you can pick the axle up .. Thats a fair deal.. If you have to pay $250 to ship it you are getting screwed..

But that is the axle you are looking for..

But in my opinion thats far to much..

On another side note ... if that one without the jeep buckets welded on it is going for that much imagine what you can get for yours when you eventually upgrade ... Mr. Green

5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a guy here in the fourm selling an 8.8 for $50, dont know how its set up or where it is, i looked at it long time ago and just looked 2 c if it was still there.

it is in the "for sale" section.
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet... Thanks I will look around and see what I can find... Now about the front... What can I put on there with 33s (also to be locked eventually.. Maybe upgrade to 35s)?

Also: Andy: Thanks for the tip... I will go check the for sale section.
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot one other question: If I get the ls would it be pretty close to as good as a regualr locker and can I upgrade the LS axle to a lock-rite or some other locker later or would I have to get the open one and upgrade that?

Also (not really related) can I run 33s in stock suspension if I do some major trimming? (just so I can put those on before I get the lift I want) or would it be better to but like a 2in budget boast to use in the interm?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Ls will be fine for now.. you can check ebay for a heavy clutch pack for it to make it grip better . (they are very cheap.) and you can buy a lockright that fits inside the LS housing..

For front axle you can just get a HP dana 30 from an XJ (Its 30% stronger is stock form.) and if you upgrade your axle shafts in it , it will hold up to 35's with little worries..

It is what I ran in mine from 31's til not long ago.. ( I have a 44 front now I am going to do a writeup on the install soon.. )

You can get the XJ front axle from a boneyard as well . they are pretty plentiful and the best part is it bolts right up without changing a thing...

I ran these axles from Alloy USA..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_503.htm

I also used these axle tube seals from them as well.. It keeps the crap out of your axles when doing deep water crossing..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52420_911.htm

It makes for alot of money tied up in a Dana 30 but with these mods the 30 is as strong as the 44 but with more ground clearance..

I now have the alloy USA shafts in my 44 .. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: