Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woo Hoo Im here (also a couple questions for you guys)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the triple post but that mounting kit you linked (swampy) says its for a TJ... It will work on a ZJ also?
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I know everything I need to start spending money Smile

I may still get the open diff 8.8 from the guy on here cause its $50... I can get a locker and be done with it... Unless i find a great deal on an limited slip one around here... I shall check.

Any questions I should ask the guy on here whos selling one (or the junkyard for that matter)?

EDIT: The one for sale on here is a no go... Its not 31 spline and its the wrong ratio.... Oh well local will be better so I don't pay shipping.

Swampy: What do you think of these mud brutes?
Also for rims does 15in tall (I am assuming thats what the 15 in the mud brute sizing is) 8in wide with 3-4in backspacing sound about right for those tires? (I will need some kind of wheel spacers because the ford 8.8 is not the same width as the d-35 so I will have to have something on there anyway AND the front and rear must have the same lug pattern so I can use one spare).
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you find out your gear ratio?

if not, if you have the 4.0 and an auto your gears are 3.55
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at work so I can't look (I don't driv emy jeep) but since I DO have the 4.0 and auto it looks like I just found out.. LOL

thanks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will work on a ZJ as well .. But ZJ stuff wont work on a TJ>. Mr. Green

TJ's have really big rear springs so ZJ will fit on its perch..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FARMER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[if you have the 4.0 and an auto your gears are 3.55]

I've got the 4.0 and my gears are 3.73 stock.[/quote]
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Looks like I have found a few 8.8 explorer axles on car-part.com... Most don't tell if they are ls or not so I am calling them and asking... Also people on mallcrawlin said rusty's was crap so looks like I will be going with clayton or kevin's 7in long-arm kit (same thing cause kevin sells claytons kit I am told)... 7in is more than I needed but I am not gonna complain... Of course I might complain about the $2600 price tag... Anyone got any cheaper suggestions for long-arms that will let me clear 35x12.5 mud brutes with 3.75 backspacing? (I don't care if I have to do some fender trimming and I will probably be using wheel spacers as well).
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmer what year is yours? do you have the tow package and the alum d44?
silvergoat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan T n T customs builds thier long arm kits to allow just about any size spring you want. Alot of the guys with mallcrawlin are running his products.If you call they will give you all the info you need, they may also be able to help you locate an 8.8 axle.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use a 8.8 from an Explorer not from a mustang or a pickup or even from a Crown VIc.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FARMER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1FOX2GO it's a "95" 4.0, automatic, D30/35 diffs, no tow package, and the command track option with a 231 tc. I lucked out when I bought it for the wife, cuz I didn't know squat about the options available and she didn't like it so we traded.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the zjs that ive seen and read about had 3.55 gears with the 4.0, v8s had 3.73s and the tow packages had 3.73 with the 4.0 you did get lucky
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! Now I can't be sure mine is 3.55... I crawled under there and only saw a "DANA" stamp and one string of numbers (not on anykind of tag) that did not have either 373 OR 355 in it... Can someone tell me where exaclty on the diff I should expect to see it?

Also: (unrelated) I randomly decided I no longer liked the plastic bits of my dash... I tore them all out tonight (started out fixing electrical problem its had forever... Dash lights flickering but got carried away). Tomorrow I will begin relocating all the switches and knob to a stainless steel panel located where the headlight and dash light dimmer controls are now (left of the steering wheel)... Will also be replacing all wiring harnesses with millitary grade CPC connectors and replacing knobs with smaller, more rugged pots and selectors... Then I will make a laptop mounting bracket so my laptop (with GPS and music) sits in front of the radio.. Might tear that out and sell it and just keep the amp and make up an audio input for XM and PC/Zune which is all I use anyway... Would also VERY much like the shorten the shifter for the trans... Anyone know if this is easy to do and how it could be done? (I tried taking it apart to look at but no luck so far).
Finally: Well I have it appart I will change all dashlights to LEDs from incandesent so they use less power and don't get hot... Also I will be using bi-color LEDs so I can change the color. Thinking I might replace the dome lights with those new 3w LED mudules as well.. Less power use and nicer light.

EDIT: Last thing (REALLY!): Checked up on explorer 8.8s and local junk yards have a bunch but all the locked ones are 3.73... They do MAKE a locker 3.55 right? The price was aroung $350 btw..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with the 355 .. It will say 3L 55 on the metal tag..

Check the front and back diff the tag will be on one.. If not.. Post up your VIN and I will research it for you..

1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF your going to run 33s, you will most likely re gear to 4.10 or 4.56, at least you should, so actually whatever 8.8 you get doesn't really matter if you are going to do the installs all at once

if you are doing the installs at different times then you should get the correct gear, also you can look on the front diff for a tag as well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: