Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 TJ Crazy Wobble (from a newb)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoldError

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: 97 TJ Crazy Wobble (from a newb) Reply with quote

Hey all,
I gotta stock 97TJ recently with 117K. Living in Hawaii, I'm usually driving 25 - 40mph unless I'm crossing the island. A few days ago I was traveling along the interstate (don't ask me how in Hawaii) at about 60 -65 when the whole Jeep started rattling BAD. I was in 5th at the time. I dropped into neutral and let her coast down to about 40-45. At which time the wobble stopped. I put her in gear and continued. I had been traveling for 10 min when it started again. It happened several more times, all of which I was in 5th doing about 60mph for 10-15min.
I'm no car/jeep guru. I know enough to do regular maintainence and that's about it. Please make any suggestions barney style. Thnx.
Mikey TJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're experiencing is called "Death Wobble". The two likely causes are alignment problems or a wheel balance issue. I just got my TJ back from the shop hopefully fixing my Death Wobble by getting an alignment and rotating/balancing the tires. The next thing to check would be the torque on the front track bar. If none of that helps start tightening down all the other front suspension components.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I agree with the previous replied post. I have a 2005 Unlimited. It did the same thing as yours at about 52,000 when I test drove it. The tires on it were way worn out and once the dealership replaced them I have only had the issue happen a handful of times. If the tires are old and worn, go ahead and replace them, tighten down the front end and you hopefully will be good to go.
blktrax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone or any online retailer and get a beefy steering stabilizer Shock, Rancho, Skyjacker ect. Had this on my 06 when I put on 32x11.50x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 with 3 in offset wheels. Took care of the problem, that factory one does just that, handles factory equipment, aftermarket wheels, changes the steering geometry, just enough to be annoying.

Being a 97 like my 97, yours is just wore out.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the bushing up on your trackbar. If it's orignal 97 equipment they could be bad as well. Easiest thing to do is just grab a hold of the bar and see if you can shake it. Might as well do the same with the sway bar links too while you're under there. Those are a couple things you can check yourself before taking it in to a shop to have the alignment and/or tires checked out. Death wobble can be caused by just about anything up front being outta whack (that sounded real professional didn't it?).

Mix1980, it shouldn't be happening at all let alone a handful of times. Might wanna check things out too Smile .
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I had the same problem. THe bushing on the passenger side worn to heck and well the roller coaster began. Very Happy
Mix1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drak,
Mine happens almost intermittent like. Sometimes it will show up after weeks and then go away. Once of my tires had thrown a weight and I had that replace and the problem seemed to be sloved. I haven't really had much issue with DW after the dealership replaced the tires. I'll check my track bar and the front end as well. Good point!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: