Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What model years of Cherokee are better vehicles?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: What model years of Cherokee are better vehicles? Reply with quote

I want a daily driver that's also good offroad. I used to have an XJ I loved. Bought a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and hate it. Want another XJ. Need advice ASAP.

What model years of Cherokee are better vehicles in stock form, and why?

What about modified form, and why?

1995 and older?

1997 to 1999?

2000 to 2002?

I'm wanting to buy a new Cherokee and have a low mileage 95 and a low mileage 2001 to choose from. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Neither has tow package or offroad package.

Thanks for your advice, Charley

=====

P.S. - I've seen the XJ tech sheet thing that tells the differences, but I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to understand the implications. So I still need your advice. I'd like to know what's better and why. Thanks
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant help you much but i have owned a 87, 2-91s, and a 95. out of them 3 i like the 91s more. i havent broke anything on either 91 yet. and they have the h.o.'s. the 95 i broke a rear and front drive shafts at different times and destroyed the front axle. the 87 has a very strong running motor though not being an h.o. and has the dana 44 which is going under the 91(stretch). i love the h.o. 4.0s. they are very stong. and the np231's are great trans cases. i know i havent been any help for you but i have been bored and thought i would chit chat. peace
cb3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You note you said you broke things on certain years, but not others? That's one of my curiosities because some years have high pinion diffs (front and maybe rear?), and others have low pinions diffs. Which is better and why? I have no idea.

What I do know is there are differences that might matter to me, especially since I plan to leave mostly stock.
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh all of my xjs had hp dana 30's and dana 35 rears except for the 87 withthe dana 44
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing the prices, mileage, motors (4 or 6), transmissions (auto or manual), or t-cases, I would say the 95. I don't consider either year to have any real disadvantages. I would get the 95 for the HP30. Higher pinion gives you a little more clearance. If they had the same front diff I would pick the 01 just cause it's newer and of course all vehicles rust, so the newer one would probably have less.
cb3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Liter engine only, of course. 2.5 L need not apply.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangeamc13 is pretty much always right , just look for one with a high pinion dana front axle , and i would personally get one with a chrysler 8.25 rear axle over the dana 35 .

rust is the main thing i would worry about is rust and over all condition , they all were just as reliable as the one before it . newer has a little more computer jammed in it , but i don't believe they have any problems .

i have a 96 and a 89/91 , i have less problems with the 96 because it doesn't go offroad . so i can't say if its better or worse .
cb3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Found one Reply with quote

Well, I found a 99 Classic locally that has 8,500 miles on it. Sweet. It's like new.

Even in a color I like!
cb3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. The used car dealer was lying about the mileage. Back to shopping.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kick
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb3 wrote:
Whoops. The used car dealer was lying about the mileage. Back to shopping.

that did seem pretty low . how did you figure it out ?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing a bunch of mods, it really doesn't matter that much because you'll most likely swap in what you need. But it sounds like you are looking for the most bang for the buck from the stock package...so here's the short and sweet:

After 00 you get a low pinion D30
Prior to 95 you won't get the 5-297x u-joints in the front axle.
Prior to 90-91 you'll get a vacuum disconnect D30

So, 95 - 99 with the Chryco 8.25 rear axle is the sweet spot. With those years, you get a high pinion, non disconnect D30 with 5-297x u-joints. But ideally, you want a 97-99 with an 8.25 axle, which has a higher spline count on the rear axle shafts than earlier years (29 vs 27 splines).

Now keep in mind that 96 and up are also OBDII systems....meaning that the computers and sensors that run the engine/tranny are more complex. That turns off a lot of people, but aside from the occasional sensor going bad, they are pretty simple to maintain and diagnose.

HTH

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Phantom.

97-99 with the Chrysler 8.25, 29 spline rear axle.

These years have the most stock upgrades yet still retain the high-pinion front axle.

My brother has a 95 and I have a 98. The biggest differences I have noticed is that mine has a much nicer interior with a lot less wind noise and less vibration noises due to the extra seals and pads they added in 1997. It also has a integrated heater core valve which is a lot less prone to cracking as my brother's 95. Mine also has the stronger 29 spline 8.25 axle which is a close second to the Dana 44 for strength. But, his does integrate less control to the ECM, which is nice when adding things like an AWshifter manual shifter control (my check enine light always comes on... his doesn't). I'm being verbose... yes the ideal years are 97-99.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: