Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear and locker Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
half-track

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: gear and locker Question Reply with quote

on my 91 cherokee i have the d30 and 35, i wanna put larger gears in and run 33's(I just found a 41/2 inch lift for $400 in the junk yard not sure if i want the axles). I do alot of trail/mudding not any extreme rock crawling but what kind of lockers would be recommended at the lowest cost.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't do a lot of rock crawling and want to save some money, then I would go with a Powertrax Lockright "lunchbox" locker... or any other lunchbox locker for that matter. For the mud these should be fine, seeing as you need to get your tires spinning for forward progress anyway. They are a LOT cheaper than any of the selectable lockers, like the OX or ARB. But for the rocks the selectables are nice because you don't have to give a little spin to lock up the locker.

But any selectable locker is going to run you around $1000 per axle or more by the time you have everything installled (if you set up you own gears), whereas the "lunchbox" type lockers that keep your existing carrier can be had for under $400 per axle.

If you're changing gears to match the 33s, you might have to change the carrier anyway. Don't know for sure. But it's something to check out first.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cut off point for for the stock carriers is 3.55. So if you plan to regear to match the 33's, you'll have to replace them. If that's the case you might as well go with a locking carrier, either auto or selectable...although selectable will cost a bit more.

You'd have to look into the pricing, but I think buying an auto locking carrier is going to be stronger and cheaper then buying new carriers and lunchboxes...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
half-track

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would 4.56's be all right with a locker carrier withthe 27spine, and i have the cad30 in the front
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: