Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOB with out fail a problem every mod- 249<242 problemo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: SOB with out fail a problem every mod- 249<242 problemo Reply with quote

well i got the input shfts swapped and i put the 242 in my zj but i couldnt get the shift linkage right. well i drove for 2 days win 2 wheel Mr. Green awesome as hell lightn em up and do in donuts is fukn awesome in a v8 midlength jeep. any damn way i messed with the shifter on the tcase since i couldnt figure out the linkage and found four low. then i couldnt get it back to 2 only part time and THEN when i went back to 4low it was nuetral. Evil or Very Mad not so good. so i popped the fkn thing out in like 15 minutes- im a pro now!! Finger . ha ha i just popped removed shafts lowered crossmember a lil bit and removed tcase skid popped the nuts off and hemaned that bad boy off on to my chest and used my feet on the creeper to get out. piece of cake after you do it a few times Wink

SO now i took the 242 apart and i'd like some help putting it back together or some pics of how it should be? i dunno why i cant get it- maybe the damn thing is shot.
i put the input shaft and sun gear in snap ring on outside then the gear that goes inside of it on the shift fork then the other shift fork in place and slide the rod in ( Mr. Green ) then the other gear on the fork slide in big ol' shaft then the chain gear snap ring case oiler bearing and cover snap ring and then the tail cover

this suck so much balls. my wife is none to happy that i have to take the yj everyday and leave her and baby stranded... usually i take it 3 days a week and if she needs can always take the beast but now that its down she is not happy at all.... PLUS i cant install my locker till its done and damn i want to test er out with a new case and locker... any ideas = DANKNESS!!!
thanks for reading and for any input
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some pics of what's holding you up?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the linkage just needed to be adjusted... What I did with mine was put it in 2WD with a wrench then install the linkage and loosen the bolts push the handle so its in 2wd and tighten everything up.. I had to do some small adjusting afterwards but that was pretty much it..

Since you have it out ... Take a 14mm and make sure it switches into all the gears (you may have to turn the output by hand to get it to shift..)

If it doesnt shift like that .. You may need to check the shift fork and make sure its in the right location..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/sets/72157601157541170/
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it into 2wheel on the case and in the jeep but when i pulled it back to go into 4 it wouldnt budge cus it was pushing the shift linkage the wrong way... so i shifted it manually with the linkage disconnected and i found 4 low but couldnt find 2 again in the same position it was in 2 was now parttime... then no more 4 low it just acted like it was in neutral
i also tried to shift it manually with the jeep on and it grinded bad couldnt budge it and i felt like i was getting electricuted

thanks for the replys let me know if i can provide any more info to help diagnose this... o btw what kinda pics should i post? its holding me up being on the floor of my garage torn apart....
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics of the disassembled case. Some pics of what's holding you up. The shift forks, the gears? You said it won't go back together, how close are the two case halves coming together?
I also agree with the shift forks not being aligned right before. Did you try redoing the whole process, starting from swapping the sun gears?
I find it easiest to set the linkage in 4Lo. First lube all the linkage and loosen the adjuster. Turn the shift shaft on the t-case manually to 4Lo and put your shift lever in 4Lo and then tighten the linkage. Then it should slide right in to any position.
(Cajmere that link goes to a sign in page.)

DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha man u have no idea how much times ive put it together and took it apart... there is no issue getting it to close as i said b4 it was in my jeep for a few so sorry for misleading you

i dont see what the problem is cuz the way its designed there isnt really any way to put it together wrong... im at a loss i guess i can snap some pics of how i put it together since i can do it in under 60 secounds Razz

this really blows guys and i appreciate the help more then i can say.. its my 22nd bday today and im all depressed that i cant go wheel in the light rain we are getting... so so so so heart breaking to see my jeep sit in the drive way unmoved in almost a week. i got a locker that i want to install but cant move to it until this is solved

which had me wondering- sorry to stray off topic but i do that from time to time..... can i but a dana 35 lockright in my dana 30??? does it only matter if the spline count is right??? i think they are both 27 so i kinda thought it might work- just a notion im sure it wont but the what if has me thinkn... word up guys thanks again
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the t-case in or out right now?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the 35 locker will fit in a 30 .. Although they are the same spline count the 35 carrier is bigger than the 30 carrier so it will not fit inside the carrier..

If you keep your eye on Ebay.. I have seen dana 30 lockrights go for about $75 or so used.. not to shabby..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill be hunting on ebay for sure! i cant wait to be locked then i can focus on adding 2 inches and 33s...

for now tho the tcase is in my garage torn apart..im gonna slap it together and thro it on hopefully 2marrow but i doubt it
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok tcase is in and i have 2 wheel but in 4 low i got some grinding... i was on p Rolling Eyes avement but it definately was tcase.... i m starting to think i bought a broken 242....
cajzmere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, bad link. Learning how to post pics.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

242 innards pics(hopefully).
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/981109080/[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/980253687/[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/981108670/[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/981108528/[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rifkinpics/980253123/[/img]

OK i officially suck. I followed pic posting directions to the letter and it didn't work. Apparently I'm qualified to do full rebuilds on engines and repair all kinds of CNC optical equipment, but can't post a friggin' picture. shock
If you copy and paste just the url you can get to the pics.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted them right but the links have to end in .jpg to show up..

Those do not..

Click on them to make them full size then copy the location..

I dont see anything blatantly wrong with the t case but since you have it out and apart you should check out the planetary set.. That is the most common broken part on the 242.

But honestly it looks good.. Are you certain that you have it back together properly??

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and what year was the case?? Is it marked new Venture or new Process??

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: