Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOB with out fail a problem every mod- 249<242 problemo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Oh and what year was the case?? Is it marked new Venture or new Process??

dose that even make a difference... i was under the impression that it dosent matter.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, those are my(Cajzmere's) pics. Dankness is the one these were meant for. Those pictures are from right after I cracked the 242, before I switched the shaft over.
Dankness, does yours look like this? Do you still have the little plastic pieces on the shift forks? Without those it will shift, but really hard. Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. Embarassed
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years back New Venture bought out New Process and with the change came a change of gear pitch.. The difference in cut angle on the gears of the input make them non compatible ...

So to answer your question.. Yes it does make a difference...

It is not a 100% absolute .. Like in most things automotive they used the left over parts for a while so some cases marked New Venture still had new Process parts but its a distinct possibility that if its a NV it will not work in a NP case..

I thought I put that in my original writeup but I may not have..

If not I will try to edit it and make sure its in there...

It is normally not a problem because you should be using a case from a reasonably similar year but it does happen.

And like everything there are exceptions to the rule.. I myself have a NV231 HD in my Jeep and my original input from my NP249 is in it.. Confused

But I did change the entire planetary set not just the input..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 93.. i got it to be in 2 wheel and the shifter correct but i can only go back to clicks in to 4 all time and then the lever hits the tcase preventing it from going to 4 low.. so i guess im gonna have to use the lever from my 249 since it is ofset.. i may need to trim it tho.. we shall see.. how wierd tho everyone ive heard of doing the swap used the 242 lever......
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take the 242 lever off??? Are you sure you have the linkage on the right side of the lever? it could pop in from either side..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the linkage as it connects to the t case..(This is a 231)

And this a picture of the linkage cross section you can see the T case stick on the left and the cross over on the right..

Hope that helps..

DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well my lever is like that but instead of it being exactly like that it is a little lower in 2... so when i shift it it goes closer to the case and in 4alltime it hits the case preventing it from going back to 4 low..... i think its some how messed up.... should i post pics or what?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i might be able to tell you how to fix it if i can see it..

DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i lost my cord for the camera...

BUT i did get a chance to test all the differant gears of the tcase this weekend and all work fine.

SO it is a linkage problem, for now i have to do it manually which can be a pain in the butt so hopefully i can inform you guys enough to help me through this mess.

OK the problem is that when the tcase is in four low i cant connect the linkage at all.

Is the 242 tab suppose to be off set at all like the 249?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first pic is of what it looks like when if the tab is pointing up.. with this the shifter will not move cus it is pushing the tab instead of pulling it. when i have it like your pic the tab down it hits the case when shifting it into 4alltime. it wont stay in all time and causes grinding since it isnt all the way in. i think a tab with a notch a lil offset similar to the 249 is what i need. is there differant tabs available for the 242? maybe i have the wrong one? or does my linkage look wrong?
i hate manual shifting it is just not to cool when you got to jump out with a wrench in order to make it up a dirt road!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the only way i can get the tab on the case in 4low.. see how its backwards from yours? u can see if i flipped the tab it would be going into the tcase thats why i have a problem with it being flipped cus i can only get fully into 2wheel and part time as shown here
2wheel

part time

2wheel wheb i flip it

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the right way ... But if you need to bend it or modify it and make it work go for it..

What I would do is go to a bone yard and snatch one off of another 242 and see if its different...If so try it out..

DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya thats kinda what i was thinking.. maybe the guy i got the case from gave me the wrong tab or something.

IF not... swampy is there a way to turn the nob the tab connects to with out shifting the gears? if i were to move it half an inch all would be good if not i may need to custom fab a new tab... how wierd tho. im off to the bone yard 2marrow
as always thanks a bunch for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: