Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOB with out fail a problem every mod- 249<242 problemo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the linkage backwards.. IE putting case in 4lo with the linkage loose then putting the shifter in 4lo and tightening the linkages..

Just to see if it may travel better when adjusted the other way..

Worth a try..

If you cant find a lever let me know I can make one that is exactly like mine pretty easily..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i we only have 1 upull down here and there isnt any 242's at the moment just a bunch of 231's.

i tried to adjust it like you said but i cant even get the linkage to connect to the lever when the case is in 4 low.... since the only position it will go into 4low is when the lever is flipped up side down from the pic you said is the correct way.. you know what im saying? when the lever is as it should be it wont go into 4low cus it hits the case preventing it from even going all the way into 4 all time.
SO if you could fab up a lever that would be awesome... i just would hate to waist your time if i have the same lever........ i guess that is what i need to do next then - take a pic of the lever and see if the offset is correct.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its straight up and down no offset. the 249 tab is too long and the offset is either the wrong way or too much.

is the 242 tab suppose to have an of set? is there a chance i have a 231 tab? i sure hope that is it cus im sick and tired of having to jump under my jeep to switch it to 4wheel that shiot gets old real quick!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive cut my tab and had it welded didnt work the first time cus the spot weld broke Sad

SO i got it welded with a good bead on both sides and good penetration.

and it was a MM off. barely barely wouldnt go on in 2 wheel all other gears are fine.. SO ive cut it again and am going to attempt to get it welded for the 3rd and hopefully last time

can anyone tell me from my pic if i had the right tab to begin with
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like you have the wrong tab. The t-case hole on yours is straight like my 231. The 242 is slanted a bit. Also the length is off, 249 is longest, next is 231, and shortest is 242. Look at Swampy's pic from his 242 swap, the 242 is on the gound, 249 on the case. Your tab is definitely neither of those. I think you're working with a 231 tab!

DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWWW HA!!! just what ive suspected! what a great relief!! to bad i didnt put 2 and 2 together back on page one!! ha ha! i pulled the tcase and rebuilt for nothing other then practice! what a riot. i cant believe i didnt think i might have the wrong tab from the get go! damn i wonder why the num nuts i got it from gave me a 231 tab. if i cant get this one welded soon i guess ill call all the junk yards and go check the u pull again. thanks for the pic... ive looked at the write up a doxen times i dunno why i didnt think of it being the wrong one sooner. thanks for all the help everyone
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit up the upull and got the correct tab! ya for me! only took a few months to figure out i had the wrong one and had put the case together perfectly fine the first time. LIVE and LEARN. here is a prime example
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad shock NOPE not done yet!!! ah man i love this..... pissed

SOO i got the tab on and NOW my only problemo is its getting stuck in 4 low. it will shift thru all gears flawlessly but once its in 4 low i cant get it back.. i have to turn it off and use a wrench on the nut that keeps the tab on.. when i do this it pops right out so i dunno what the hell. the tcase has given me so much grief i wouldnt be surprised if something is still wrong. so ya any info on trouble shooting this PITA is as always greatly appreciated.

JEEP ON
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you moving when you try to shift?? Is there fluid in the case??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you readjust the linkage with the new tab?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there is definately fluid... and i am not moving i reverse 15 feet then put the tranny in N and tried to shift out of 4 low.. nada. wouldnt budge. maybe ill try while moving and see how that goes..

should i be moving or at a stand still?

i did readjust the linkage by loosening the nut on the rod that comes down from the shifter inside the jeep... so that i could get the linkage to the tab.... should i try adjusting something else?
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a real pain to get out of 4 wheel lo to... Nothing I tried made it any easier (adjusting linkage... reversing etc) Good thing I took it out and am replacing it with a dana 300.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there it is then... .ha ha.. how much and where did you score the 300?
JOHNB279

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: DanKnesS,242 swap shift problem Reply with quote

DanknesS,did you figure out your shifting problem from august.I recently perfromed the same conversion,and have the same problem.Right now i am waiting for a z-bar for the transfer case,mine is rusted away.Once i get the new bar in i will try to adjust again,from 4 wheel low like swampboy suggested.Let me know if you found anything out of the ordinary,thanks John.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found that in order to get the shifter in 4 low and have it fully engaged on the tcase it didnt leave much room for it to be in 2..... i might notch the lil plastic part that limits the shifters travel cus it feels like a slight tap on the lever and it will pop out of 2 wheel.
other then that once i got a new shifter tab on the tcase my shifting problems were gone.. i had the lever from a 231 i believe was the problem. good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: