Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!! 91 YJ with Blown engine... need advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoabLover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Help!! 91 YJ with Blown engine... need advice Reply with quote

Hey all, new here, and looking for advice. I have been working on old Ford all my life, and finally picked up a Jepe my dad bought new. He took care of the body, never had it off road (don't ask why....), but neglected it mechanically. I only got to drive it for about 1,000 miles and the rods started knocking.... Now my 12 year old daughter claimed the Jeep to be her's when she turns 16, and I am ok with it, so I plan to keep this calm.
I plan to run 31 or maybe 32 inch all terrain tires on it, maintain the stock front axle, maybe convert the rear to the Dana 44 from a Cherokee, or an 8.8 from an Explorer.

My real question is this...... Do I retain the stock 2.5 and rebuild it, maybe add a header, 4.0 TB, and a couple little things that route, or do I convert to either a 4.0L injected engine from a cherokee, or maybe convert it to a 4.3 Chev V-6?

Not too worried about the mechanical part of the conversion, I am confortable with any of it (though there may be some questions asked), just looking more at practicality.... Who has done the conversion? Was it worth it? You know, all the standard bs....

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get the basics out there.... We plan to make another trip out Moab and over to Colorado again late winter/ early spring... did it earlier this year with an Explorer, but want the Jeep for the next trip.

Thank You!!!!
Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard all park lands in CO were closed to ORV use now...

Can't really help you out with the engine... Though by all accounts the ford 8.8 is a good swap... Thats what Im gonna do.
Teriod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your going to take it out, you might as well put a bigger engine in it, the 2.5 while some people like it, is way underpowered in my opinion, the 4.0 is a good engine, but i would consider the 4.2 with a tbi, from what i have heard it has quite a bit more torque than the 4.0 IIRC they can be had new for 2500.00 or less
JOHNB279

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,TELL YOUR DAUGHTER TO GET A JOB AND BY HER OWN JEEP.I OWN A 88 YJ, NEEDS ALOT OF LOVE.I GAVE A 95 ZJ TO MY DAUGHTER.LOW MILES,155,000.V8.MY GOD EVERY LITTLE THING THAT MAKES NOISE OR IS IN NEED OF ATTENTION IS THROWN IN MY FACE EVERY DAY.DID I GET A THANKS FOR GETTING THE ZJ,NO... DID I GET A THANKS FOR REPLACING THE WIPER MOTOR,POWER WINDOW MOTOR,SHOCKS,EXHAUST INCLUDING THE CAT,NO,POWER ANTENNA NO;OH AND SPENDING 1500.00 FOR THE FRONT END BODY DAMAGE IT HAD WHEN I TOOK IT OVER FROM MY OLDEST SON,AFTTER I BOUGHT THE TRUCK FOR HIM 4 YEARS AGO,NO...... GO FIGURE.....
hereswaldo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok if your gunna just wheel it the 2.5 is fine but on road it lacks power. especially to those who don't really understand manual transmission shifting i.e. your daughter who will be new to driving all together let alone shifting. ( i hear girl all the time say my four cylinder has no power blah blah and it turns out they don't know how to down shift on the highway when approaching hills ect. ) i recommend you go with a 4.0 engine they came stock in the 6 cyl 91 wranglers. this way you will have more than enough power on and off road and it will have efi with will start every time and will not be a pain in the ass carb. especially if your daughter is going to drive it. a;so with the rear your pretty safe running 31's or 32's with the d35 . cherokee d44's are extremely rare to find so i wouldn't put my hopes into finding one and the ford 8.8 can get quite expensive if you want to re gear and lock it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: