Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Follow Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Follow Up Reply with quote

This thread is in response to my thread on the Cherokee page: doing a front axle swap @ As well as my post:XJ to ZJ Front axle swap @ My front axle went out in my 98 ZJ 5.9 Limited with a 4.5 Rubicon express lift and a 242 T-case swap. I initially was going to swap in a Front axle from a cherokee with the HP and ABS. which is what the first few shops I took it to told me to do. Then I found out that it was just the CV joint in the axle end of the driveshaft so I was SOL because Jeep wanted $950.00 just for the part not including installation. So I took it to a local shop where they rotated the tires, changed all the fluids for $60. Then I heard about another local shop called Nash Heavy Duty Truck Parts. The other shop removed the front axleshaft for me and I took it to Nash's. Theyquoted me a price on the shaft (w/o CV joint but a flange instead for $220 + $100 for next day shipping which I demanded.) So the next day the part arrived with a zerk fitting on the side but I took it to the shop and they charged me $60 for the removal/install. Now everything runs great and here are some pics:

this is one going into the T-case:

into the front axle:

into the front axle again:

The Zerk fitting on the front driveshaft:

BTW, the Zerk fitting brings me to another question-How often must I grease this fitting? I've never seen one on a car,Jeep, or truck, just tractors. Also, what type of grease do I use?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited W/242 swap
JKS disconnects & Garmin GPS
Heavy duty OME Suspension kit
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: