Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stripped Coolant Drain/Block Plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aalb1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Stripped Coolant Drain/Block Plug Reply with quote

Not only is the closed cooling system retarted... but the drain plug is too... read more.

So my wife's 98 4.0 XJ started overheating and I took it as a good opportunity to upgrade the cooling system. Knowing about the square block drain plug being a 5/16" square, I grinded down a 1/2" Square drive extension to a 5/16" (in fact because of my OCD it came out to .321 measured with a micrometer tool ) It fit nice and tight in the block drain plug, but when I tried to loosen it, the damn thing stripped pissed

Anyway I know this is a popular picture to refer to the block's drainplug and I know that you can take the coolant temp sensor off as well to drain the coolant.

But in my situation, the coolant temp sensor is not on the side of the block.... It's on the damn thermostat housing! Anyway... it's a good thing that I'm replacing the water pump because I drained it through there, and sucked the rest out with a turkey baster once the water pump was off the block.

Still the next time I plan to drain the coolant... I'm will not be planning to take off the water pump. Anyway are there any suggestions on what I should to next time I need to drain the coolant from the block?

Last edited by aalb1 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Teriod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont drain it from the block!!! drain the radiator fill it with coolant flush then run it until it exchanges fluid, then drain radiator again, as long as the cap is off it will drain the block, then refill with proper coolant mixture
aalb1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teriod wrote:
dont drain it from the block!!! drain the radiator fill it with coolant flush then run it until it exchanges fluid, then drain radiator again, as long as the cap is off it will drain the block, then refill with proper coolant mixture

What's the reason for keeping the cap off? To vent air or allow for coolant to burst out of it? I'd think that it would come out of it fairly easily.
Teriod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it doesnt create a vacumn and hold liquid in the block
dont try and drain while the engine is hot
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: