Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 44 Drum-to-Disc brake conversion - list?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Dana 44 Drum-to-Disc brake conversion - list? Reply with quote

I have a Dana 44 axle I'm delaying putting on until I get all the necessary components (steel braided lines, proper u-bolts, stronger axle shafts, etc...). I've been perusing over Steve (Phantum's) writeup and got a partial list of stuff I need NOW:

Armored diff cover (got that already, came with the new axle)
stronger shafts, bearings, and seals
9/16"x8" u-bolts (not sure how long)

Stuff for the disc brake conversion would be:

caliper brackets
calipers w/ e-brakes
rotors from a variety of GM vehicles (???)

Stuff I'll be getting AFTER installing the axle will be:

4.11 ring and pinion w/ a new carrier
A locker (MUCH later on)

I've seen a D44 disc brake conversion kit sold by Quadratec (which costs $840, YIKE!!!) that looks like it covers everything, but there's A LOT more than what is listed in the buildup. What am I missing? And what exactly do I need to scrounge for to get a lower cost for the conversion?

Or <SHUDDER>, should I wait on the drum-to-disc conversion until I get the money together for the full kit? I know it's gonna run much rougher as drums, but the ring & pinion and carrier are gonna be more important due to the mismatched gear ratios when I install the D30 up front.

Thanks in advance!

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could find a pick and pull yard and use the rear discs off a ZJ to do the conversion. Clicky. That would be the most inexpensive way to go at least.

As far as the u-bolt, just measure how thick your leaf pack is, including the u-bolt plate. Then add 2.75" (the size of the D44 tube) to it and then another 2". It should work out to around 8" long. You'll also need to make sure there is 2.75" between the posts so it will fit around the tube. Thurston Spring in Richmond (314 W 7th St, 23224 - (804) 232-8981) is where I usually go to get u-bolts. If they don't have them on the shelf, they'll make them for you in about 10 or 15 minutes.

If you are going to regear it now, you might as well get a full locker since you'll need a new carrier anyway. If it were me, I would hold off on the discs, put new shoes/hardware/etc. on and get a selectable locker for the rear. You can always do the disc conversion later.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would recommend the discs later on, as say a project for a day when your bored.

We just got done putting the detroit locker in the back of my dads xj, along with the lockrite up front. I know its not a selectable locker for either but the set up worked exceptionally well. Of course his jeep isnt a DD, which from what I understand yours is. Just a thought if you didnt want to shuck the bucks for a selectable
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. THAT'S the stuff I need to know, guys. Thanks!!! thumbs

Now, it doesn't feel as daunting... at least until I pull the old axle off, than is. rofl rofl

Now to start pricing axle shafts, new drum parts, and a good locker. Rolling Eyes I can buy the ring & pinion and carrier stuff when it's time from your dad when he orders it, right Fox?

1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, all you need to do is buy the ring and pinion and locker. I think his bearings were 66$ give or take and then the shims. Just let me know when your ready and he can order them from Mopar if you prefer, thats where he got his.

as for axles.. you gonna upgrade to chromoly?

So your plan is to put the d44 in, and drive it here so we can do the gears and locker?

the d44 is 354 and yours is 355 correct? if so thats ok to drive on
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this brought up another question. Since I have a D30 axle ready to go with the 4.11 gearing, and my D30 already installed with the disc brakes and locker, this begs the question. Can I just remove the ring & pinion and carrier and swap THEM in my D30, buy tougher axle shafts, swap them for my old ones, and then junk the rest, or do I need to go through the whole process of pulling the old axle, strip off the disc brakes and locker out, and build up and install the completed D30?

I know I'll need to confirm if it's reverse gear or straight before I start doing that, but at least I can take out several steps in the process if I can.

It never ends... rofl

Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
yea, all you need to do is buy the ring and pinion and locker. I think his bearings were 66$ give or take and then the shims. Just let me know when your ready and he can order them from Mopar if you prefer, thats where he got his.

as for axles.. you gonna upgrade to chromoly?

So your plan is to put the d44 in, and drive it here so we can do the gears and locker?

the d44 is 354 and yours is 355 correct? if so thats ok to drive on

Haven't researched that yet, but it's more likely I will. I'll check on that later today. Mr. Green

1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying you have a second d30 with 4.11 gears ready to go in?

You can do like you was saying pull the shafts take the carrier and swap them, but you may need to shim again

You have the selectable locker up front dont you? that would mean you would have to re setup the shims and everything....

You could just pull the ring and pinion and carrier out of you second d30 like you was saying, and have it put in the same time you do the rear
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up a second....what's under your XJ is a low pinion D30. If the second D30 is a low pinion it will work, but if memory serves, you are swapping a high pinion D30 in. I don't think you can swap the carriers between the two and I'm 99.9% sure that the R&P won't swap between them either.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
Back up a second....what's under your XJ is a low pinion D30. If the second D30 is a low pinion it will work, but if memory serves, you are swapping a high pinion D30 in. I don't think you can swap the carriers between the two and I'm 99.9% sure that the R&P won't swap between them either.

You're right, it's high pinion. I wasn't sure if it would work or not, but that makes sense. Looks like I'll have to go with plan "A" and do the hard swap.

Ohh well, at least I know. Good thing the HP D30 is all set to go in, I just have to pull the Powertrax out and swap over the disc brake equipment. Wink

1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes hes right, the high pinion needs the reverse cut gear, however I'm not positive that the carrier wont work because the carrier would be the same just the ring and pinion is different

but yes that takes care of your questions have to do that swap the hard way too

01 xj I'm guessing?
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe the 2000 XJ also had low pinions
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000s have high pinions
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 2000's have high pinions, but very few. Basically, Chryco installed the last few HP D30's they had on the first 2000's to come off the line and then switched to the low pinion. Therefore, most 00's and all 01's have low pinions.

Quote:
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green

i thought i was right.

BTW...why did they even build low pinions?
what was wrong with the high pinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: