Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I bought a Jeep! Give me some pointers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniJeep02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: I bought a Jeep! Give me some pointers Reply with quote

I just bought a 2002 Jeep TJ Sport (soft top only). I've always wanted a jeep and I'm happy that I finally got one. But back to my point. Im just wondering what are common problems with them. Like any car Im sure they have common issues.

With just under 95,000km, what kind of repairs am I likely to see in the future? What should I keep an eye on, things I should get/do right off the bat etc. I don't want to keep it stock but I definitely wont be doing heavy off roading. (my only vehicle) Suggestions welcome.

Craig
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about breaking it offroading... Things will happen but they are repairable and all and all jeeps are very rugged... A little mud and a few scratches are a required part of a jeeps diet.

As for common problems one that bugs me and I have now heard happens to a lot of other people is wiring issues... The wiring harnesses they use on Chrystler vehicles are crap the connections may become intermitent after awhile... Recommend replacing any harness you work on with a more reliable model.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Congrats on your jeep. Overall Jeeps are pretty rugged as stated earlier. Some do have what is called the Death Wobble(DW), TJ Shimmy etc... This happens on some jeeps. Do a google search on it and you'll find a bunch of articles on it and even some posts on this website. The check engine light is no stranger for owners. Not to worry, it's probably nothing serious. Have your differential fluid changed once or twice a year. You may replace a steering stabilizer, muffler, but nothing to expensive hopefully. Have fun. The engines have a great reputation.
Teriod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing you should is go here and read this

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=972

then figure out and write specs for you jeep, such as gear ratios, tire sizes and so on

also post in you signature, model,year,tranny,engine, tc so when you do ask for help people will know what they're dealing,

then make a jeep bag(so you can take it out of the jeep) with tools spare u joints, a small air compressor, and what ever else you think you might need(first aid kit)

then have fun, jeep are a fun and interesting hobby
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lift kit!!!!!!!
TJgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on your new to you Jeep! just drive it for a while and then decide if you want to lift it or do anything. have fun!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJgirl wrote:
congrats on your new to you Jeep! just drive it for a while and then decide if you want to lift it or do anything. have fun!

my manliness just says lift it , but what you speak of seems so much more intelligent .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: