Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

checking a/c high and low sides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: checking a/c high and low sides Reply with quote

I bought a gauge set yesterday and hooked it up to both the high and low side of my a/c system. Both sides show an extremely low reading - can't even tell if the needle is leaving 0.
My a/c has been blowing warm air for 2 summers now and I'm just now getting around to trying and fixing it.
Could the system really be empty, or would this brand new gauge not be working at all?
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered your PM but I will answer here as well..

You need to make the compressor engage to test pressure so you will need to jump the low pressure switch to make it engage.. Keep an eye on your gauge while you do it.. The compressor should come on when it does if the gauge doesn't respond quickly turn it off..

However most likely you have a leaky evaporator core ..Its under the dash on the passenger side.. Its a pain to get to you are going to have to pull most of the dash out. Then you can change it .. Its about $200 (last I checked) It can be done at home but you will need a vacuum pump and a new air dryer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about PMing you as well. I did that before I posted...
When you refer to engaging the compressor, is that the center portion of the pulley that gets sucked in or whatever and starts spinning with the belt?
I had the a/c running when I had my gauge attached and the center of that pulley would engage and then disengage about every 15-30 seconds.
When it did this, I did not notice any difference in the gauge reading.
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough then... Put a little freon in it and it should come on and stay on.. You may even be able to track your leak down..

It it was engaging and disengaging it is probably just low on freon. (meaning you have a leak..)

Give it a shot and lets hear what happens..

Oh yeah .. Just for the hell of it .. Use the freon with the O-ring conditioner and also make sure you get some ester oil in there as well .. (I think Pag oil will work as well if thats all you can find..)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it turns out that the gauge was bad - i tried it out on my wife's a/c and it didn't register a reading either. I took it back to the auto store and the new one they gave me showed me that the low side was reading just about right, maybe a bit low. The high side; however, was reading really low so I decided to add some. I had already purchased a can of refrigerant and it wasn't the o-ring conditioning kind, but I used it anyway.

After adding a can, it appears to be a lot cooler, I will drive it to work tomorrow and test it out. I didn't have a thermometer so I can't be sure if it changed a lot or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: